Partial Boil Extract Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorE728

Reaction score
I bought a Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale extract kit from the LHBS this weekend. Not even thinking about it I just assumed that it would be for a full boil.

Get home and pull out their instructions and its for a partial boil extract with specialty grains. I'm not set up for partial boils, all I have is a propane burner and a 40 qt brew pot.

My question to all of you out there is, can I change this kit to do a full boil or should I just follow the instructions and do it the way they meant it.

Thoughts, suggestions?

5 gallon full boil?
I'd steep the specialty grains per instructions (probably something like steep at 150 for 30 min, remove [do NOT squeeze]), add water for full boil (6+ gallons), bring to boil, add extract, hops according to hop schedule, .....

I'd probably change the hops up a little bit. With a partial boil, the hops utilization is probably quite a bit different (lower).

If you post the recipe, one of us could run it through some brewing software and give you the specifics.

Ok so here is the receipe (verbatim):

1.) Steep in 1/2 gallon 150 degree water for 30 minuts:
- 12 oz 40L US crystal malt
- 3 oz Belgian Biscuit malt

2.) Strain the grain water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon 150 degree water. Add water to the pot for 1.5 total volume. Bring the water to a boil, remove pot from the stove and add:
- 3.3 lbs. Briess light malt syrup
- 4 1/3 lbs Muntons light DME
- 12 HBU Northern Brewer (bittering)
- 5.5 HBU Cascade (bittering)

3.) Add water until the total volume is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add:
- 1 tsp. Irish Moss
- 2/3 oz Cascade (flavor)

4.) Boil for 10 minutes then add:
- 2/3 oz Cascade (aroma)

5.) Boil for 5 minutes, remove pot from the stove and cool for 15 minutes. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 1/8 gallons. When temperature is below 70 degrees, pitch you Wyeast London Special Ale 1968. Be sure that your wort is fully aerated iwth this yeast.

6.) Ferment in primary for 7 days, then rack into a secondary. Dry hop in a muslin hop bac with 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Bottle with 1 1/4 cups Muntons Extra Light DME that has been boiled in 2 cups water when target gravity is reached and the beer has cleared. Prime at 70 degrees for 2 1/2 weeks, then store at celaar temperature.

I'm trying to remember what HBUs are. I know it is in a couple of books I read, but I can't remember how to figure that into Beersmith. What are the AAUs of the hops you have? That will help me better. (I'm no math whiz, but I'm kinda cute).

The alpha acids weren't listed in the receipe in the kit. I actually stopped by the store again and talked to the guy who wrote the receipe.

He said for the full boil, just to cut out 30% of the hops and that should do the trick. I think I might just buy another pot anyways and do it according to his receipe.

If anyone is interested in cloning, him and his wife wrote a couple books, Beer Captured and CloneBrews. They had one from Beer Captured on tap, Dock Street Illuminator, and it was really good.

Yooper - when I get home I will take a look in the book, it has the AAU's in there. I'm still interested to see what your software spits out for a full boil.

Latest posts

Back