Parliament Rocked It Out In My Basement...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONKandTUCK

Reaction score
And I wasn't even invited... All I got was some FUNK aromas from my two starters.

They smelled A LOT like Belgian Trippels... most choose to use the description "banana and clove", I prefer varnish and hot bags of cut grass.

I poured off (decanted?) most of the liquid and the yeast smells fine. I am just worried that maybe the yeast is infected or stressed.

Can I risk using these starters? They're in the fridge, I haven't tossed them. I would like to know I haven't wasted $12 on two vials, but I would like even more to know I won't waste money on spoiled batches of beer.

Well it would help to know what strains of yeast you were starting... some throw the aromas you are talking about... especially if they are on a stirplate and warm.

Dry English and Yorkshire Square .... when I put them in my basement the temp was below 65*.... they're in plastic containers, they were slightly cracked to allow CO2 to escape.

Back