Paring a hop with Maris otter for a smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing my first all grain batch Sunday. I want to do a smash for one to keep it simple and two to start picking out flavors of hops and grain. So I doing a Maris otter smash and in the byo it pares it with citra. The only problem is my last extract brew is a all citra pale and my buddy has a double sunshine clone. So I want to use a different hop. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am not saying this is a good choice, but I make a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Nugget hops. I called it Otter's Nuggets. Anatomical innuendo intended.:D

It was interesting.

I am not saying this is a good choice, but I make a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Nugget hops. I called it Otter's Nuggets. Anatomical innuendo intended.:D

It was interesting.

Interesting? I was thinking about nugget. Also some other ideas I had were magnum warrior simcoe Columbus. Just some hops I use a lot and want to really get a flavor profile on them. Maybe cascade or centennial too

In my opinion, you have to try pretty hard to make a Maris Otter SMaSH that isn't really tasty. Just pick a hop you like and go with it. My most recent was a Maris Otter / Columbus SMaSH IPA that was fantastic.

Enjoy the brew.

Cool good to know I love Columbus and Amarillo

Like everyone else says, I don't think you can go wrong with anything you choose to accompany the Maris.

I however will suggest Simcoe as I have made it and it was badass!!

:rockin:

I recently did a Maris Otter w/ East Kent Goldings and London Ale yeast (trying to stay with the British theme). To add some color and flavor I did a decoction mash.

Let us know what you use and how it turns out!

I just did a Maris Otter with Citra that turned out pretty well. Doing one with Mosaic next week. Hard to go wrong, I think. Unless you find out you don't like a particular hop.

I did a Marris Ottter w/ East Kent Goldings, and learned that I apparently don't like East Kent Goldings as a late addition hop - it got better with a little age, as the late addition mellowed out some. I definitely want to do another SMASH again with something else - Amarillo definitely sounds tasty, Simcoe has a certain promise to it, and I've been hearing some buzz from a couple friends about Summit too...

I think that you're missing a bit of information in the question. What flavor profile do you want? Do you want is spicy (go with Apollo, Chinook, Columbus, Perle or Saaz)? Do you want it Fruity (Amarillo, Cascade or Galaxy)? Maybe you want it herby. There are hops that bring that flavor to the party. When you go the the Brew Shop, many will have a chart on the cooler door telling you the flavor profiles of the different hops and if they don't, look on the package for the flavor profile from the manufacturer. That said, don't get too heavy handed with your first addition with a hop that has a high Alpha Acid percentage (like over 8 or 9%) because it'll get bitter fast (unless that's what you're after). Since this is your first All-Grain brew, look for something that has a fairly low Alpha Acid level and has a pleasant flavor profile and aroma (You're going to want to share this with non-brewing friends and hear them say "wow!"), like Cascade.

After typing all that, I'd like to point out that this is a great time for you to read each hop label at your LBS and make mental notes. My personal favorite hop is Galaxy, but you might not like it. The reality is, my opinion doesn't matter very much. That's the nice thing about this hobby, you're making the beer that YOU want to drink. If your friends want something else, let them bring you the hops.

I did a Marris Otter, Cascade SMaSH that was delicious to the last drop! 14 lbs of MO, 14 oz of Cascade w/05 yeast. on my list to do again!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My all-time favorite SMaSH beer was an amarillo/maris otter beer. It was awesome.

Slightly :off: , but is the recipe to which you refer somewhere in your recipe list or in the forum recipe database or just floating in a canoe somewhere in the UP?

I have a Maris/Simcoe SMASH right now in the fermenter. I keg it tomorrow. I made a 1-gallon batch of it a few months ago and it was excellent. Looking forward to a whole keg of it.

I was also planning on doing the same thing with Amarillo, Columbus, Citra, Centennial, and a few others too probably.

Maris Otter and shoes would be good....:D
I've used Amarillo on one and Mosaic on the other. I greatly prefer my MOaMo SMaSH; Maris Otter and Mosaic, I'm really original :tank:

It was interesting.

I made a MO-Willamette SMaSH and called it Otter Willy.
Innuendo also intended.

Some others that I have tried:
MO/Cascade (wonderful)
MO/centennial (delightful)
MO/ Fuggle (not so much)

Tried a one gallon batch of MO-Magnum and it was good.

I did a MO and Chinook I liked. Since Chinook is more spicy or what I call a neutral bitter it let the MO come through more. I also did a citra which was good but the citra much more dominated the flavor pallet.

All a matter of personal taste.

I'd try EKG's for a simple and true to style British bitter. It's really hard to go wrong with MO, it is quickly becoming one of my favorite malts, it has a great flavor.

So it's decided my buddy has 4 ounces of chinook so we will start there. "The Single Chinned Cook". Lol thanks for all the input.

While I haven't paired it with MO, consistently one of my best brews is an all Centennial IPA. A loose Bell's Two Hearted Clone.

I'd do el dorado or a bit more bold and use delta. I want to do a MO and El Dorado SMaSH soon. It'll be called MOED. To me it sounds like "mowed" and I intend to drink it after a morning of yard work and mowing. I'm a dork, I know.

You guys are making me thirsty!!:D My brewing partner keeps leaving town and when he's home I'm being forced to work the weekends! Seems like we can never get together and after I gave away 15 gallons of homebrew at the Brewing Heritage Festival I'm almost empty!!:eek: If we don't brew pretty soon I'm going to forget how!:confused:

If Homer Simpson was a home brewer...

Mmmmmmmmm Marris Otterrrrrrrrrrr

MO makes a great grain for SMaSH brews. MO with a continental style hop makes a great base for a blond ale or as a base for a SMaSH Belgian patersbier with a continental hop and a Belgian yeast. Even Dr Fix calls Belgain Pale Ale malt and Maris Otter as too close to tell a difference. Maris Otter makes a great base grain to standardize on and purchase in bulk.
Dr. Fix said:
A natural question to ask is how Belgian pale ale malt stacks up to the top English two-row malt, namely Maris Otter (Great Ryburgh, England). What follows may sound like a cop out, and it likely is, but I feel it is too close to call. Both are outstanding. In fact, malt data on each are remarkably similar, and actual brews indicate that their color and flavor contributions are similar as well. The best advice I can give is to let price and availability determine which malt you choose. Brewers will not regret a decision for either malt.
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/fix.html

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/maris-otter-belgian-abbey-pale-118698/

I just polished off a batch of Maris Otter/Nelson Sauvin. 44 batches and it's almost certainly the best beer I've brewed so far. OG was 1.057 - IBUs were around 53. A little hoppy for a straight up APA, but just fantastic regardless.

Dales Pale is Marris + Cascade/Centennial..

I would imagine either would work well.

Got two going, a MO/Topaz and a MO/Merkur. MO/T getting kegged this weekend, have not decided whether to dry hop or not, game time decisions once I open up the fermenter and get a taste.

Dales Pale is Marris + Cascade/Centennial..

I would imagine either would work well.

Our last IPA was MO with Centennial for bittering, Centennial/Cascade for flavor and Cascade for aroma and dry hopping. Not exactly a SMASH beer but a classic combination. We now use Marris Otter for all our ales.

So my brew club is doing a 1000l MO mash in a month or so, for 20+ folks. We're all then to go off, do our boils make some beer, then meet up for the tasting... Some folks are taking 200l, I'm only taking 30l - it's all I can handle. With a target OG of 1.050-1.055, I was thinking of brewing an Amarillo SMASH APA. Since most of the guys are pros or semi-pro, I was thinking of doing something different and doing small hop additions (~5g) every 5 minutes (à la Dogfish Head) - Brewers Friend is calculating I should get to 38.5 IBU.

QUESTION: dry hop or not?

Looking to try my first smash w mo. Wanting Citra but if lhbs doesn’t have it may do cascade. Anyone have a recipe to share? Would be appreciated. Have beersmith but not experienced in building the recipe. Thx in advance.

Maris otter/mosaic SMaSH is my house ale.
11lb Maris otter
1/2 oz mosaic FWH
1/2oz mosaic @ 60 min
1 oz mosaic @ 15 min
1 oz mosaic @ 0 (170° hopstand)
WLP001 1pk with 2L starter
Mash 152°-153°F
Ferment 7 days @ 64°, 5-7 days @68°
Balanced water profile using EZ water (all distilled)
Very nice malt/hop balance.

I have also made this with Cascade and it was awesome.

Slightly OT, I'm doing a Golden Promise/Amarillo SMaSH tomorrow. Originally planned to brew this on New Year's Eve but woke up that morning with a terrible cold/flu. Temps are supposed to be in the low 80s tomorrow, a perfect day to brew.

Thanks VTX for reply. Hated to start new thread for question. Searches led me here.

I’ll roll with your recipe. Hoping for the best

Back