Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the bottles today one has stopped bubbling and the other has drastically slowed. Is this typical for 10 days fermenting?

For the bottle that stopped, i'll let it sit a week and then rack to the secondary and add blackberries.

So here's my update. First bottle racked into secondary w/ 1lb blackberries. Came in at .994 before berries. Think that comes around 16.5%. Hope the flavor will be there.

See you next week.

So I poured 5 gallons of apple juice into my carboy, added the 10lbs of sugar and shook.... and shook... and shook. For over an hour. I couldn't get all the sugar to dissolve. Will this be a problem?

Mines won't even ferment room temp was 74 so I put it down the basement where it's cooler...sigh

So here's my update. First bottle racked into secondary w/ 1lb blackberries. Came in at .994 before berries. Think that comes around 16.5%. Hope the flavor will be there.

See you next week.

and - how is it?

I read through this entire thread and didn't find this question so I will ask it now. Can I treat the final product with K-Meta and bottle it still in wine bottles? I am debating on either making this recipe vs Edworts and want to bottle it still.

and - how is it?

I just bottled both last night. No tasting yet. I'm reserving that for next week when we go visit friends. But, they smell great! I may have added a bit too many blackberries for that batch but as long as the flavor profile is there. Will only use a few oz's for next batch and see how that goes.

As for the cinnamon, the o.m.g aroma is out of this world! And it's hot. I hope it smooths out a bit with age.

In looking back to prepare for my next batch, I missed two elements in the directions:

"I used "super-kleer K.C."{kieselsol-chitosan} in 2ndary (optional) to clear the cider and the stuff is amazing.Coldcrash in the freezer for an hour and bottle."

I don't think I needed the super-kleer. It's fairly clear as is. Annnnd....i didn't cold crash in the freezer before bottling. With that be an issue and if so, can i just stick the bottles in the freeze for an hour and all will be well once again?

Finished another batch about two months ago. The first batch I had used cider from a local apple orchard and added cinnamon sticks to the secondary. Cinnamon flavor was very strong, but that batch still medaled. This last batch, I used Costo’s Kirkland brand organic apple juice. Kind of got covered up and buried in the basement and spent about a year in the primary. Oops. I am really a secondary guy when it comes to aging after 30 days in the primary. Anyway, moved to secondary and added some cinnamon sticks and some vanilla beans, but only for five days, as I wanted to carb it and bottle some entries for the Colorado State Fair. The cinnamon flavor was not overpowering this time..could have gone a bit longer. Vanilla Beans definitely needed to be in there longer, as the taste is very subtle. Half the people will not identify the vanilla without a prompt. Next batch I will not rush and probably add and monitor the flavor additions separately. My big surprise, though, was a much stronger apple flavor from the Kirkland apple juice than what I had with the local orchard cider. At first, I wondered if I had only fermented the added sugar—I went back to Costco to verify there were no preservatives in the apple juice—and there were none. Had some friends sample four or five ciders and they all liked this last one, despite not getting a carved version (had extra that did not fit into the keg, so it went into a large mason jar). It is cider time at the orchard and rather than pay $6.50 a half gallon, I think I am just going to stick with the Kirkland organic apple juice. Also, it was the top cider at the fair

...i didn't cold crash in the freezer before bottling. With that be an issue and if so, can i just stick the bottles in the freeze for an hour and all will be well once again?

Cold crashing is usually done prior to bottling/kegging to help clarify. Typically refrigerate at 35F for 3-7 days, which causes particles, including yeast, to fall from suspension to the bottom of the fermenter. Then, you rack or bottle/keg immediately. I don't think it will do you any good to freeze your bottles now.

So once the hydrometer reads . 999 am I good to add the sorbates and super kleer then bottle the next day? Its only been two weeks but its fully fermented, should I wait the full month or go ahead now that its done? I've also been degassing throughout the brew, not sure if that matters

SOS... So, I made this in a 6 gallon batch in a fermentasaurus, 6 gallons pasteurized cider (no preservatives), 10lbs store brand sugar, 2lbs honey, and I tried for the banana trick instead of yeast nutrient. While setting up the airlock I used vodka instead of a sanitizing solution, and some of it got sucked in directly onto where I had poured the yeast, should I mix it then pitch new yeast? I am also wondering if I should have mixed the sugar in, I just followed Pap's recipe and literally dumped everything into the tank.

SOS... So, I made this in a 6 gallon batch in a fermentasaurus, 6 gallons pasteurized cider (no preservatives), 10lbs store brand sugar, 2lbs honey, and I tried for the banana trick instead of yeast nutrient. While setting up the airlock I used vodka instead of a sanitizing solution, and some of it got sucked in directly onto where I had poured the yeast, should I mix it then pitch new yeast? I am also wondering if I should have mixed the sugar in, I just followed Pap's recipe and literally dumped everything into the tank.
Mix the sugar for sure, the yeast will prob be okay but if you don't see activity after a a day or two pitch new yeast

It takes a bit longer than 2 months for a lot of ciders to really shine. Whenever I make Pappy it really shines at 6+

Good morning everyone, So, being new to this hobby I did not take my OG when I first started this batch, do you know if there is a way to at least guesstimate? I have at least another week or two before I rack, and I would just like a way to ballpark my ABV.

Once I rack, I am thinking about breaking it into a few gallon jugs ( couple gallons with cinnamon, and maybe a gallon with blueberries from my yard )

Good morning everyone, So, being new to this hobby I did not take my OG when I first started this batch, do you know if there is a way to at least guesstimate? I have at least another week or two before I rack, and I would just like a way to ballpark my ABV.

Once I rack, I am thinking about breaking it into a few gallon jugs ( couple gallons with cinnamon, and maybe a gallon with blueberries from my yard )
I believe there's a way to guess based off the amount of sugar by volume, though I'm not sure of the calculation. Best to just go ahead and pick up a hydrometer for the future!

So I racked off the secondary today. After having big doubts about it mellowing, it turned out great. I dropped in 3 cinnamon sticks when I put it into the secondary.... what a difference it made. it now tastes like a red hot cinnamon apple candy, with a kick in the ass. Got it into the keg and chilling down to around 35 degrees then it goes on tap.......

I recently made this and am quit happy with it.
I used 4 gal Tree Top Apple Juice and 1 gal of Sams Choice Spiced Apple Cider.
The Sams has a lot of pulp but a nice Cinnamon flavor.

USCG1986
They make a little device they call a Vin-O-Meter. It uses a capillary action to measure
concentration of alcohol. Mine seems quit accurate. Ebay and other sell them for 5 or 6 bucks. Needless to say, The wine needs to be clear as any particles will plug the small capillary.

Last edited:
I started this a week ago and I still have very little yeast activity. It's in the basement sitting at about 68 degrees. I do have some foam on the top and I did give it a little shake.
I followed the recipe exactly and this would be my first fail relating to a no start with yeast. I will give it a couple more days then try something different.

Mine has been fermenting for about 5 weeks (my house is on the cold side, so it's taking forever) , out of curiosity to the people that use the bananas, do they break down for the most part typically? I just have a bunch of banana slices floating on top of my cider...

My other questions (this being the first fermented product i've ever made) is it safe to sample your product before it is done? I plan on testing the abv soon anyways.

I started this a week ago and I still have very little yeast activity. It's in the basement sitting at about 68 degrees. I do have some foam on the top and I did give it a little shake.
I followed the recipe exactly and this would be my first fail relating to a no start with yeast. I will give it a couple more days then try something different.
It finally has started fermentation on day 4. I started with a O.G. of about 1.112 but this would be on the low side being all the sugers where not dissolved.

Mine has been fermenting for about 5 weeks (my house is on the cold side, so it's taking forever) , out of curiosity to the people that use the bananas, do they break down for the most part typically? I just have a bunch of banana slices floating on top of my cider...

My other questions (this being the first fermented product i've ever made) is it safe to sample your product before it is done? I plan on testing the abv soon anyways.
I believe a taste test would be fine but make sure you sterilize whatever you use to get samples.

Did a hydrometer test today and came in at 1058, its very sweet and I think has a ways to go.
My fermintation has pretty much stopped so I'm wondering if I should try some more nutrients?
I'm sure I'll get where I want to be just trying to figure out the formula.

Did a hydrometer test today and came in at 1058, its very sweet and I think has a ways to go.
My fermintation has pretty much stopped so I'm wondering if I should try some more nutrients?
I'm sure I'll get where I want to be just trying to figure out the formula.
Today we hit 1.038. I wonder if I should transfer to secondery on 5 sticks cinnamon? Thoughts?

I did this before I ever saw this recipe. This is My first batch which is still fermenting (barely), it's been racked twice, and is fairly clear already at 3 1/2 weeks. Did cinnamon sticks and crushed whole nutmeg in the boil, along with sliced orange. I'm hoping those flavors make it past the fermentation. Wanted to try it but I'll wait till it ages a bit after reading this thread. Not real big on jet fuel flavor.

Alright guys, My batch has about stopped bubbling (at over 7 weeks, I know it was long but it is going at 62 degrees F or so) I was wondering what the next step is for racking, and whether or not I should do a secondary?

Has anyone ever tried replacing some of the sugar with dry malt extract to give the cider more body?

so, the cider is pretty tasty if a bit harsh at the moment, I am planning to run 6x 1 gallon secondaries. I was just wondering how many cinnamon sticks/ gallon anyone who has tried it would recommend. (or, since cinnamon may not extract well at low temps, would it make more sense to boil a gallon of cider with a handful of cinnamon sticks, and use it to sweeten/ kick off a little more fermentation?)

Latest posts

Back