Papazian Guinness Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
I have a 1st edition Joy of Homebrewing book. In it is a recipe for Guiness that Charlie states is the real recipe. Anybody know if this true or not?

It's the all-grain recipe, Propentious Stout that is supposed to be Guinness. The recipe is
7 lbs 2 row
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
Mash at 153F

Boil for 60 minutes w/ 1.5 oz Bullion.

It's very close to several other folks recipes, for instance Jamil's & Dave Line's. I've played with all three. The one I like best is Dave Line's which uses 2 lbs of flaked instead of 1 lb and boosts the bittering hops up some. The 2lbs flaked with the roasted is just about perfect for the malt profile.

Isn't there a small amount of a soured batch mixed in with the fresh stuff? Supposedly, it gives Guinness that slight lactic tang. I'd imagine that would be hard to really duplicate.

Yes, Guinness does use soured beer in their stout. And it can be done, worth the effort? eh

I was thinking of doing a sour addition, but I've read that Guiness's is only something like 3%, so I don't know that I'm going to worry about it.

Pour 20 oz of boiled wort into a container, add a handful of crushed two row, cover and leave for a week or so. Strain off the grains, then boil for 15 min. Add to the fermenter. I did O'Flanagan's sour, it is excellent, although I plan to sour about 30 oz when I next make a dry stout using 70% pale, 20% flaked barley, and 10% roast barley.

Back