Hello from Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonDude2U

Reaction score
New to homebrewing.
Purchased some used SS Brewtech equipment (Boil kettle, two mash tuns and two Chronical BME fermenters). Also got the two books by Charlie Papazian to figure out what the heck I got myself into...
Debating if I should first do an extract brew to learn the ropes or jump right in and start with an all-grain brew. 🤔

How much time per brew session will you have? That's a big factor in which method people use. If you might have around 2 hours per session, go extract. If you'll have 4-6 hours per session, jump straight into all-grain. No need to spend time learning extract methods if you're going to do grain. Many of us old-timers started extract, then moved to ag, but more and more people are just starting with grain, since there are so many resources (people, websites, books...) now to help you along.

I would find someone nearby and tag along on their brew day. In one afternoon, you can often learn more than a bunch of books.

Given that things will go wrong on a maiden voyage, I suggest an extract batch to start. This will allow you to get used to most of your new gear (without making any kind of commitment to extract brewing.) Second batch all-grain, you can then focus on learning about the mash, with the boil / chill / pitch somewhat well in hand. Sort of divide and conquer. Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back