Palmer's "Water" book is giving me a headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderbrau

Reaction score
I'm about 30 pages into "Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers" by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski. I feel like I walked into a chemistry class in the middle of the semester and everyone is speaking Latin. I was just wondering if those who have read the whole thing found it useful. Should I slog on?

I know that feeling. I would pick a style of beer I wanted to brew. Get the free version of Bru'n Water. Start with RO water in Bru'n Water and the additions needed for your beer style. Use the book for finding the explanation of the "why", for the additions.

Peruse the book a little at a time to prevent brain lock.

The Water Knowledge tab in Brun'Water is a great place to start. If you still aren't sure you're understanding the topics discussed, maybe start to Wikipedia the terms you don't fully understand?

Might take more than one reading to start to really understand. Water can be a complex topic, especially if you're not mathematically or scientifically inclined.

I've heard about Bru'n from multiple people. I'll check it out. I use Beersmith, and I've played with the water profile calculator a bit. I was just hoping that "Water" would be more straightforward in its approach, giving practical info first, then delving into the molecular level of things. This is how Palmer structured "How to Brew", and I'm still referencing it after 3 years of brewing.

Yep, I went to school for a looooong time, but I am not a science-y type and I struggled mightily with that book. However, I slogged through it (reading a couple chapters 2 or 3 times) and pretty soon the light bulb switched on and I got it!

It has been the single biggest improvement in my brewing ever. Seriously. Applying what I learned from Water has revolutionized my brewing. By all means, slog on.

The bright side is, after you finish Water, reading Yeast will be a snap.

Yep, I went to school for a looooong time, but I am not a science-y type and I struggled mightily with that book. However, I slogged through it (reading a couple chapters 2 or 3 times) and pretty soon the light bulb switched on and I got it!

It has been the single biggest improvement in my brewing ever. Seriously. Applying what I learned from Water has revolutionized my brewing. By all means, slog on.

The bright side is, after you finish Water, reading Yeast will be a snap.

I'd "slog on" too. Make sure you read the glossary of terms in the back, get very familiar with those terms, understand them. Then press forward. I found myself reading chapters multiple times, but understanding them definitely helps your beer.

Water was my favorite of the 4 books in the Brewing Elements series, and I think I learned the most from it. The only part that didn't hold my interest was the final chapter on wastewater treatment for breweries. As others mentioned above, Brun'Water is a great tool.

I agree. It took many reads to begin to understand what it was about. Not a book that you read for pleasure. But after re- reading parts over and over it is sinking in.

BTW I hated chemistry in college....

Water was my favorite of the 4 books in the Brewing Elements series, and I think I learned the most from it. The only part that didn't hold my interest was the final chapter on wastewater treatment for breweries. As others mentioned above, Brun'Water is a great tool.

With respect to homebrewers, wastewater treatment should be the least interesting and totally inapplicable. I can't blame you.

PS: I wrote both the wastewater and water treatment chapters.

PS: I wrote both the wastewater and water treatment chapters.

So we can blame you for that... hahahahaha

Only kidding. Great book, but it still is slowly sinking in. I am an artist si chemistry is not my strong point.

Working on it. I have read it several times.

Martin, we've all got to give you props for all you have done to advance water chemistry knowledge for brewers and home brewers alike.
The book is worth reading, maybe slog through it once and focusing on getting the generalities before worrying about the chemistry and calculations. I think the guide to the type of water profile to shoot for with general types of beer would be worthwhile even if you don't understand the rest of the book.

I appreciate Palmer's contributions to homebrewing, but I find I really dislike his writing style. He's clearly a very smart guy; however, I don't think he is very good at breaking down a complex subject (e.g., brewing water chemistry) into lessons easily absorbed by the layman. In his defense though, many of the subjects he tries to tackle are, by their very nature, exceedingly complex.

How to Brew contains a page-long "allegory" in which he tries to explain the mash process (page 142 if you have the book). I'm sure some may have had a different experience, but I had a very hard time following along. On the subject of mashing, he spends 24 pages going into detailed descriptions of enzymatic processes and mash pH, but only 8 pages on specific mash types and procedures. Those were a great 8 pages, but the preceding 24 were far too technical for me. An entire Palmer book dedicated to the technical must be exceptionally difficult to get through.

Not trying to bash John Palmer, just saying that I understand where you're coming from.

Back