pale chocolate malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
I brewed 11 gallons of robust porter yesterday and used about 4% pale chocolate malt, in my grain bill instead of old fashion chocolate malt, boy, did that wort taste yummy. I cant wait to taste the final product... What has your experience been using this malt... I just may continue to use it in place of in the future, depending on what I'm brewing...

Definitely contributes a nice complexity not easily found by using other malts. I find it doesn't have quite as strong a roasty note as reg. chocolate malt. I use about 2-5% in many of my darker brews.

More nutty and chocolatey and less roasty. I often update old recipes to use half of each for the same total color contribution but I like all pale in an English brown.

It's an awesome malt to use in a mild instead of regular chocolate malt.

I like its complexity addition even in amber beers. I think that it really adds something special to my Fat Tire clone (adapted from Perro) that before I saw his recipe I thought was missing because I was using regular chocolate.

Latest posts

Back