Pale ales flavor is dulling down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhanley1

Reaction score
Im a new brewer and i decided to brew an american style pale ale. I used the extract recipe in "how to brew". It went through a vicious fermentation and after 2 weeks in the primary i bottled it and let them sit for a bit. When i opened my first bottle the flavor was just amazing...i was addicted to them. And now at the ass end of my batch i find the flavor going from full bodied to a glorified coors light. Any ideas of what could cause this? All i can think of is i may have introduced a small amount of oxygen to the beer when i siphoned it out of the fermenter. Any suggestions would be appreciated

do hops really contribute that much? i know the flavors they contribute to an ipa but do they really add to the nutty warm falvors i was enjoying?

I wonder if the flavors settle into the sediment on the bottom... What if you shook up a bottle and let it settle for a few days before drinking?

To a Pale ale, they absolutely do that much. With an IPA or APA the backbone of the style leans heavily to hops over malt.

I think the aroma is a big part of the taste experience. Aroma hops provide that as well. To me the hop aroma makes or breaks a beer. It's can be good with no hop aroma - but it can be fantastic with hop aroma.

Hops fade.

It's amazing how different a batch of beer will taste from it's birth to it's untimely death.

Yes, that's exactly so!

That's the reason I don't age my IPAs or APAs. I'm drinking them on about day 14-20, and they are typically gone before they start to fade too much.

Back