pale ale all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivegotabike

Reaction score
12 lbs. 2-row pale ale malt
1lbs. Crystal 40l
1lbs. Crystal 80l
8oz.carapils

1 ounce Chinook 60 minutes
.5 ounce Cascade 30 minutes
.5 ounce Chinook 15
Teaspoon Irish moss 15 minutes
.5 ounce Cascade 5 minutes

Dry hop 1 ounce cascade hops

Need some opinions been tweaking this a lot lately have already tried 6 batches and this is my newest recipe. Looking for full bodied APA with a little hop character.

That's a lot of crystal... I would cut it back by at least 25%, probably more like 50%... do 1/2# each if you want character from both

I agree with wailingguitar. Also, if this is a 5 gallon batch with 70% efficiency it will come out with a gravity more like a double ipa.

... if this is a 5 gallon batch with 70% efficiency it will come out with a gravity more like a double ipa.

Yeah, that too... I was thinking Old Ale rather than IIPA since the hop character would be pretty mild, but definitely a bigger beer

I'd use about 7-10% crystal malt, and using a little of both is fine. I'd target an OG of 1.050ish, and IBUs of 35-40. currently, you've got 2.5 pounds of crystal in a 14.5 pound batch, and that's a LOT (17%!).

If you want to use 12 pounds of two-row, you sure can. But you're looking a something like an IPA and not a pale ale, so that's something to consider.

It's easiest to do with some brewing software, but a rough estimate would be:

9 lbs. 2-row pale ale malt
.5 lbs. Crystal 40l
.5 lbs. Crystal 80l

As for hopping, you've got a bitter beer there. If you want to make a pale ale, something like this for hopping:

0.50 oz Chinook 60 min
1.00 oz Cascade 15 min
0.50 oz Chinook 5 min
Dryhop with cascade

I love chinook but it can be perceived as harsh for those who don't love it.

OK excellent thank you so much for your opinions. I love the Chinook hops best I've tried so far. I do think its a lot of crystal but the last recipe I went with ended up with a very light body like a bud light. I will try your recommendations and I'll let you know. Thank you again. I jumped straight into all grain brewing and I've just been trying to get this recipe the way I want it to be. Thank you again. Brewing again tomorrow.

Back