Pahto Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackelbow

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used Pahto hops (also known as HBC 682) for anything? I just got 2 oz of Pahto pellets (16.5% alpha acid) to play with. The interwebs describes them as neutral/clean when used for bittering, with an herbal, earthy, and floral aroma. I'm thinking of throwing the whole 2 oz into a smash beer with German pils to see what's what.

I haven’t used them but have done some research on them. Hard to find any commercial examples with them or even its previous experimental designation HBC682. Sounds like it’s gonna be pretty resinous/pine with some grapefruit if using it for flavor and aroma. Bit of an old school hop. There’s actually a ton of it grown now cause of its agronomics. It’s really resistant to disease, it can be harvested late, and it’s yield per acre is great. Might be the most “efficient” bitterness hop to grow.

Let us know how it turns out. Personally I’d save it for bittering. At 2oz not sure that’s enough to discover it’s full impact if you wanted to use it for aroma/flavor.

Hmm, if you're right about the grapefruit/pine, then I might have to change up my plans and test it in an IPA wort.

Looks like Don O just did a beer with Pahto and a kveik yeast:

Coincidentally, the single hop Pahto beer I have fermenting right now is done with Bootleg Biology's "Oslo", which is also a kveik strain. Hopefully the yeast won't crowd out the hop.

Looks like Don O just did a beer with Pahto and a kveik yeast:

Coincidentally, the single hop Pahto beer I have fermenting right now is done with Bootleg Biology's "Oslo", which is also a kveik strain. Hopefully the yeast won't crowd out the hop.

I saw that! He used the Pahto to get a clean bitter addition. I have a SMaSH going right now with a decent 180F stand and dry hop. Citrus as the yeast

I like that yeast for NEIPA and as the primary in sours. Its quite ester forward, so it might be hard to really get a good sense of what the hop brings to the table. Great yeast so it will be a good beer regardless

Do you ramp the temps for it? I have found that w/ a lower temp it's not so drastic for the esters
Yeah. 78-80 if I’m using it. I understand everyone uses ingredients for their own preferences but for me the only reason to use an ester forward yeast is to bring out the esters.

True true, I just happened to have it around on brew day and was already using Joystick in a different SMaSH. In case the Pahto isn't that good on its own the citrus may save it

OK, my test batch is done. Still needs some conditioning time, but it's carbed enough to crack a test bottle.

I had planned to make a 3 gallon small batch of 1.060-ish IPA, but a low mash efficiency and low boil off rate left me with 4.5 gallons of session IPA instead. Fermented from 1.048 to 1.008. While I was brewing, I examined the Pahto pellets a bit and got an aroma of pine and lemon/orange with some spice and perfume notes reminiscent of noble hops. It reminded me a lot of EKG, actually. I didn't get the 'earthy' quality the descriptions mention.

The pine note isn't present in the beer itself. The aroma and flavor are pretty neutral, but with a mild citrus/orange character. Here again, it reminded me of EKG. More of an orange marmalade quality rather than an American C hop quality. Again, I didn't get any earthiness.

All-in-all, Pahto isn't bad, but also isn't very interesting or unique.

I’m actually liking the Pahto SMaSH on right now. I get some resinous flavors out of it but also some of the citrus notes. I couldn’t place it that well until a couple other brewers mentioned pineapple which I’m getting more and more of now

How much Pahto did you end up using for your beer with the Oslo strain

I’m actually liking the Pahto SMaSH on right now. I get some resinous flavors out of it but also some of the citrus notes. I couldn’t place it that well until a couple other brewers mentioned pineapple which I’m getting more and more of now

How much Pahto did you end up using for your beer with the Oslo strain

I only had 2 oz to work with, so I did 2/3 oz at 60, 2/3 oz at flameout, and added the final 2/3 oz for a 10 minute hop stand at 165F. Maybe I'm not getting any resin because I didn't use enough or because I didn't dry hop?

Yeah maybe, my first time using them in a 5 gal batch and I did 2oz at flame out and 2 oz at a hop stand that ran from 170 to 150 for 20 mins. Then 2 oz dry hop. So could be the amt or the dry hop

Back