Pacman Yeast Treasure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading up a bunch on Rogues proprietary Pacman yeast strain. I went to my local beer spot to buy a couple of bombers to harvest this yeast. I have read a lot about Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and Brutal Bitter being some of the better ones to get this yeast from. When I picked up the Chatoe Rogue First Growth Single Malt Ale, it had tons of yeast in it. Probably 1/3 inch of yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle. I bet one bomber will kick off a nice starter. I will let you know how it turns out. Just FYI.

Cheers,

Shawn

Or you could skip attempting to harvest and buy a Wyeast 1764 Rogue Pacman yeast activator pack and slant it for an endless supply!

I know but this is so easy and fun to do. The yeast looks very nice in this bottle too. Once I use it in a batch, I will be able to make plenty more with the yeast cake. It will provide for plenty of batches.

Everywhere i have checked thier out of stock on the 1764. I just did a wash with some honey orange wheat beer my cousin drank. I had four bombers to wash and it made a huge stater.

You can still get pacman yeast, I work at a craft beer store/homebrew store and I just placed another order including tons of pac man. They seem to go through brew craft more than the other companies though.

Brewcraft has the Rogue Extract clone kits so I think Wyeast supplies them with pacman yeast, before LD Carlson and companies like that.

I might be wrong, but we can get it I am sure Austin homebrew, rebel, brewmasters etc... can get it to.

I haven't ever used it but I know its supposed to be good. Ive harvested california ale yeast from bottles and had great success! It is a lot of fun and gets the brewing bug out of you between batches. To be able to keep something fermenting between brewing gives you a reason to check the brewing room on occasion for changes and growth. Watching something sit in secondary is boring to me, so growing yeast to make a reserve is cool. Ive heard they last in the fridge for a long while. Just wake them up into a new starter and pitch when ready. All for the price of a little DME.

I'm going to ask what seems to me an obvious question: I keep on reading about how great this Pacman yeast is, and the same threads seem to also contain posts on how difficult it is to obtain. These things seem to be at odds with each other. Comments?

rico567 said:
I'm going to ask what seems to me an obvious question: I keep on reading about how great this Pacman yeast is, and the same threads seem to also contain posts on how difficult it is to obtain. These things seem to be at odds with each other. Comments?

It's available from time to time at my LHBS. It is a good, strong fermenting neutral tasting yeast that will plow through just about anything you throw at it. It would make a good house yeast. It is not mind-blowing in a flavor sense. If you can't get it, use 1056 with a good starter and get similar results, my 2 cents.

It's available from time to time at my LHBS. It is a good, strong fermenting neutral tasting yeast that will plow through just about anything you throw at it. It would make a good house yeast. It is not mind-blowing in a flavor sense. If you can't get it, use 1056 with a good starter and get similar results, my 2 cents.

I used two liquid yeasts this Spring (WY1728, Scottish Ale and WY1332 NW Ale), but most of the time I just use the dry equivalent of 1056 (S-05), don't even have to use a starter. I use this on a lot of beers under 1.070 (obviously not hefes or belgians), and I've also done 1056, and I just can't tell the difference. It's good to hear that the "Chico" strain performs about the same as Pacman; one more yeast I can forget about.

stalewater said:
I keep reading all the posts that say rebel and austin have pacman and i Cant find it

It's a popular strain. Almost as soon as they get it, it's sold out.

You can still get pacman yeast, I work at a craft beer store/homebrew store and I just placed another order including tons of pac man. They seem to go through brew craft more than the other companies though.

Brewcraft has the Rogue Extract clone kits so I think Wyeast supplies them with pacman yeast, before LD Carlson and companies like that.

I might be wrong, but we can get it I am sure Austin homebrew, rebel, brewmasters etc... can get it to.

Yep, you have to go through BrewCraft rather than through Wyeast but it is available year round on a somewhat limited basis but it is easily obtainable.

As to why PM is so popular, well it chews through sugars and attenuates like no other which is why I love it. Hope that Rogue/Wyeast eventually add it to Wyeast's year round stock although it is already available year round via Brewcraft because of the Rogue kits that Brewcraft sells.

I should be getting my shipment by the end of the week, if the pac man does come through I would be more than willing to ship some out to you guys.

mountainman13 said:
Pacman rules

This! Only used it twice (bought it from AHS, I think) and it is fantastic--quick fermenting, exceptionally clean, and drops like a ton o bricks!

I contacted Wyeast and asked them about Pacman and they said "Your favorite homebrew shop may order Pacman year round through Brewcraft USA in Portland, Oregon."

I'm using it as an attempt to try my hand at yeast ranching. Just took out a bunch of slants from the autoclave along with some petri dishes and sterile wort. I'm gonna attempt to get pacman growing in at least one of those three things, so i can hopefully get a bank of it going. It seems like folks have had various success with just dumping it into a small starter and then stepping it up, so might try that too, as I plan on using it next weekend, might be too short a time line to grow it up from a single colony on an agar plate.

So, I pitched the yeast from two bombers (brutal bitter and chateau rogue from the GYO series) into 2 cups water and 1/3 cup DME. It fermented out in about 4 days. I just stepped it up yesterday and it was forming a nice krausen within 2 hours. I now have a nice reserve of the pacman. Bottle harvesting seems to work very well. I have to say it took a couple of days to become active in the first stage

Yep, you have to go through BrewCraft rather than through Wyeast but it is available year round on a somewhat limited basis but it is easily obtainable.

As to why PM is so popular, well it chews through sugars and attenuates like no other which is why I love it. Hope that Rogue/Wyeast eventually add it to Wyeast's year round stock although it is already available year round via Brewcraft because of the Rogue kits that Brewcraft sells.

Contradicting much? haha
gotta get me some PM!!:tank:

Contradicting much? haha
gotta get me some PM!!:tank:

Being easily obtainable (via piggybacking on a Brewcraft kit order if you have a LHBS that orders regularly from Brewcraft and being available on a regular basis as part of Wyeast's regular rotation are 2 different things. :cross:

Back