Pacman Vs US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I have been using Pacman for my neutral yeast flavor beers but I'm really not that impressed. I have used the 05 a couple of times I didn't have time for a starter. I see very little difference with the exception of I seem to get a lower FG with 05. But I have read where a lot of people really like Pacman. Is it worth keeping a bank of Pacman on hand?

I haven't used pacman in a long time (don't have any), but I love that strain. I use it at 60-62 degrees for the "cleanest" flavor of any ale yeast I've ever used. It also attenuates like crazy, better than s05, and has none of those "peachy" esters I get with S05 at low temperatures. It also flocculates better, leaving a clearer beer than with S05.

If you're not getting great clean flavor and better attenuation than with S05, then maybe you don't have a pure culture anymore?

I haven't used pacman in a long time (don't have any), but I love that strain. I use it at 60-62 degrees for the "cleanest" flavor of any ale yeast I've ever used. It also attenuates like crazy, better than s05, and has none of those "peachy" esters I get with S05 at low temperatures. It also flocculates better, leaving a clearer beer than with S05.

If you're not getting great clean flavor and better attenuation than with S05, then maybe you don't have a pure culture anymore?

Thanks, perhaps part of my problem is I don't have a good temperature control. I will bring the temperature down before passing judgement.

Thanks, perhaps part of my problem is I don't have a good temperature control. I will bring the temperature down before passing judgement.

You just answered your own question. ;)

I understand that Wyeast puts out Pacman as a "seasonal" yeast. So, what's the season to get a decently fresh smack pack?

I just recently used Pacman in a brand new recipe (blonde rye), and I am not much of a fan of that beer at all (could be the recipe too). It seems to lack flavor but I did save that yeast for use with an IIPA later. I'm hoping its lack of flavor will let the hops really take the main stage!

That said, I don't really like any of Rogue's beers.

I am kind of the same way with Pacman...I don't know if its hype or what but I tried it in a few different beers (smackpack, cakes, and banked) and it worked fairly well. Not great results, but the beer turned out pretty good. However, no better than US-05 and with that said, I would pick a half dozen other ale strains over Pacman anyday. I always have at least a few dry packs of US-05 on hand.

Good to know. I have a 4 litre starter of Pacman I was going to pitch in a 10 gallon batch of wheat beer. I still don't have temp control so would I be better off with a couple packs of 05, or should I stick with the Pacman?

I need to find some pacman, I read the label on Rogues Chocolate Stout and pacman is the yeast they use. I think it might be good in the milk stout make.

I like pacman a lot. Attenuates well, highly flocculant, and is clean. That being said, I prefer the flavor of my beer to come from malt and hops and not yeast.

I just LOVE that slightly extra malty flavor that you get from PacMan; my favorite strains for a beer that is both hoppy and malty but without yeast flavor contribution. (And that's probably my favorite type of beer to drink most of the time.)

Munich malt + New World Hops + Pacman == WIN!

I'm going to be switching out Pacman for Conan soon to try and coax more tropical fruit flavors. My theory is that heady topper gets all those awesome fruit flavors because Conan is really good at bioconversion of hop oils; the bioconversion chemistry isn't fully understood and it'll be cool to see whether the science eventually backs me up or not.

Adam

I wish I had 2 open carboys. That way I could do a side by side comparison. But I'm fermenting in a Sankey.

Back