Oxygenation: To worry or not to worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlockin86

Reaction score
I brew 11 gal all-grain batches with a partner. The problem with this partnership is that our houses are 40 min apart and he has the fermentation fridge. Needless to say, every batch I'm driving 11 gal of homebrew on a bumpy drive home. Is the oxygenation occurring during this jostling of beer worrisome? Is it anymore oxygenation than occurs during racking? Thoughts? Solutions?

Probably a good thing in a minor way. Oxygen is good for yeast reproduction but I doubt a bumpy ride home is going to bring the dissolved O2 to a desirable level.

fwiw, and in comparison, I always inject at least a couple of liters of pure oxygen into every 5 gallon batch which would result in a much higher O2 level than what jostling can achieve.

It is post-fermentation oxygen exposure you need to avoid. Avoid racking fermented beer except for final packaging. That's where O2 can mess things up...

Cheers!

It is post-fermentation oxygen exposure you need to avoid. Avoid racking fermented beer except for final packaging. That's where O2 can mess things up...

Cheers!

Sorry if I didn't clarify that. The drive where things are getting jostled around is post fermentation. My concern is that my beautiful beer is being irreversibly harmed during transportation.

Sorry if I didn't clarify that. The drive where things are getting jostled around is post fermentation. My concern is that my beautiful beer is being irreversibly harmed during transportation.

You should be worried. Oxygen exposure is bad for the storage life of your beer (especially hoppy beers.) You would be much better off if you could package the beer at your buddy's house. Many brewers go to extreme lengths to protect their beer from O2 exposure after the start of fermentation.

Brew on :mug:

If you have already packaged the beers then you are good - the yeast will wake up with the added sugar and get to work on the oxygen in the headspace.

If you are talking about driving home with the fermentor and bottling/kegging at home - I definitely would be concerned about that.

I brew with buddies and we get together after fermentation is done and bottle at my place, then they take their share home in the bottles.

While I agree with the above that transporting your beer post fermentation is not the best idea. I would think that there is likely co2 in the headspace of your fermenter, as well as co2 in solution that would come out during the drive.

Thanks guys. I have just purchased a chest freezer for fermentation. I have also researched enough now to know that I'm moving on from carboy fermentation to pressurized corny fermentation.

Latest posts

Back