Oxygenation through carb stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevelynzx

Reaction score
Thought to use my SSBrewtech’s unitank carb stone to oxygenate. When i attempted this using a red O2 bottle from Home Depot it didn’t have enough pressure to push through the stone. Fail. tried two different bottles.

Anyone do this successfully?

I oxygenate through my spike carb stone without any issues using the red o2 bottles.

I think the spike carb stone has a wetting pressure of 4 psi, not sure what ss brewtech's is, but you would think that they're similar.

I oxygenate through my spike carb stone without any issues using the red o2 bottles.

I think the spike carb stone has a wetting pressure of 4 psi, not sure what ss brewtech's is, but you would think that they're similar.
I do the same using the Spike without any issues. Cheers

Thanks guys. After filling the uni there was enough static pressure to actually push wort through the stone into the gas line. Wonder if my O2 bottles are not pressurized high enough??

Next time i pull the stone i’ll do some testing.

I found the carb stone on my SSB Unitank to be the least porous of the sintered stones I've ever used. I use compressed air instead of pure O2 and found that even the most powerful aquarium pump I own couldn't push more than a trickle of air through it. Now I use a large shop compressor with a secondary regulator and that's the only thing that manages to get a decent stream of bubbles.

Thanks guys. After filling the uni there was enough static pressure to actually push wort through the stone into the gas line. Wonder if my O2 bottles are not pressurized high enough??

Next time i pull the stone i’ll do some testing.
I'd double check your regulator is actually opening the tank. Is it possible you got empty tanks? Cheers

I have an in-line O2 stone attached to my counterflow chiller. So I go from 10 gallons of 212 degree wort to 70 degree fully oxygenated wort in ten minutes.

Can you guys elaborate with which regulator you use on the red disposable oxygen tanks? For those of you with a Spike fermenter, do you need to control the O2 flow as you would using the carb stone to carbonate?

Thanks so much Zooksta. This is very helpful. I reached out to Spike, but they do not mention anything with respect to O2 flow, and I would worry that opening the tank full-bore would be somewhat excessive in terms of flow... and probably wasteful. Appreciate the commentary. I'm very new to this, so all information is very helpful.

Back