Oxygenating wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklabbrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a question for those of you who inject pure oxygen into your wort. I Just started doing this on my last batch with a 1.4 oz bottle from Home Depot. I went to go use it this morning to aerate and found out it was EMPTY after only one use. Figured it didn't seal right or something so I went back out and bought 2 more bottles for my batch of ESB. Well after only 60 seconds of use it was empty. Is this normal??? Or can you guys use the same bottle for several batches? At 10 dollars a Pop on oxygen bottles it seems crazy to me. Thanks!

A bottle usually lasts around 10 or so batches for me. Giving o2 for 60-90 sec through a 2 micron(I think? the one that williams homebrew sells) stone.

This is not normal. I got 10+ batches out of my first bottle. Second bottle going strong. Some folks report 20+ batches.

The trick is to get the O2 to flow ensuring no leaks and have it flowing enough to barely break the surface of the wort with bubbles when placed at the bottom of the FV. A simmer for 90 seconds is what I do.

When finished unscrew the regulator and put it away.

I get about 10-15 batches from one tank. Like Gavin_C said you'll want to make sure you remove the regulator when storing and you don't need to go full bore. Just open it up to barely see bubbles forming on the top of the wort for about 60 seconds.

This is the setup you want

Tank, regulator, tubing , wand and stone. Get the tubing and wand secured well.

Oxygenation setup Oxygen1.jpg

oxygen2.jpg

In addition to the above posts, be sure to check all of your fitting/thread connections are secure. When I went through on bottle after just two minutes, I realized it was because my aeration stone was not fully threaded onto the barb adapter.

Ah ok thanks everyone. Ya I've been running this wide open throttle for 90 seconds so maybe I'm just draining the bottle? I see a lot of bubbles on top of the wort... I should throttle back to where I barely see any bubbles?

Back