Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to start this article by saying that my methods described below are nothing new. I'm writing this because I firmly believe the secret to consistently brewing great beer is developing great methods. Everyone who makes the jump to kegging immediately realizes the time savings that kegging affords the brewer.
One thing that I quickly realized is the CO2 can be used for other processes in the brewery. I find they not only save time, but reduce the risks for infection and oxidation. I first started off using CO2 to clean and sanitize multiple kegs. I have 15 cornies and always find myself having many kegs to clean at the same time.
My process of cleaning kegs is as follows.
1. I wash them all out with water.
2. Then, I'll fill one half way with OxiClean, close the lid, and shake the crap out if it. I have a jumper attached to the liquid out, and the other end to another cornie liquid out.
3. Next, I attach CO2 to the kegs gas post with Oxy in it. Then, I open the pressure valve on the EMPTY cornie, and turn the gas on. The CO2 pushes all the oxy into the empty keg. I continue this process until I have cleaned all the cornies.
4. I repeat step 1-3 using Sanitizer instead of the OxiClean. Now, I have a bunch of cleaned, sanitized & pressurized kegs that can be stored for use anytime.
The other use for CO2 is to transfer beer from a carboy to cornie.
I always saw racking beer from primary to secondary or cornie as one of the biggest risks for contamination.
When I first started brewing 6 years ago I would primary for a week or two, and then transfer to a secondary to wait for the beer to reach terminal gravity, then rack into a cornie.
My 3rd batch of beer got infected when I was racking it to the secondary.
I actually watched it turn black from the top down in the matter of 2 days time.
It was at that moment I knew that there must be a better way, and below is the method I developed.
I never secondary. I believe the cons far outweigh any potential positives.
I understand that there are beers that need time to mature and for those styles I suggest a secondary, but I don't brew those styles, so I never secondary anymore.
I now use CO2 to transfer all my beer from carboy to cornie.

If I have to dry hop, I'll do it in a cornie, then jump it to a clean cornie for carbing and serving.
This is my method for transferring from a carboy to cornie.
1. I want to address sanitizing the equipment. I have a dedicated cornie that holds fresh sanitizer that I use to sanitize all hoses racking canes and ball locks. I attach my transfer hose to the racking cane and run sanitizer through it into a bowl that I have in the sink. This sanitizes the lines, ball locks, and racking cane all at once. I then sanitize miscellaneous parts in the bowl that is in the sink. These include the bottom part of the racking cane, carboy cap, beer thief, and hydrometer.
hbt-oxy-915.jpg

hbt-oxy-2-916.jpg

2. I remove my carboy cap (removing airlock and sanitize the cap)
and take a sample to determine my final gravity.
hbt-oxy-3-917.jpg

3. Mount the racking cane to the sanitized carboy cap and re-cap the carboy.
hbt-oxy-4-918.jpg

4. Release the pressure from one of my cleaned & sanitized kegs
so it's ready for transfer leaving the valve in the OPENED position.
hbt-oxy-5-919.jpg

5. Attach the transfer hose to the liquid outpost on the keg and the other end to the racking cane that's in the carboy.
hbt-oxy-6-920.jpg

6. Attach the purged gas line to the second port of the carboy cap
(I have a dedicated line from my regulator and a customized fittings here, but you could easily just use a small piece of 3/8 silicone)
hbt-oxy-7-921.jpg

hbt-oxy-8-922.jpg

7. I am now ready to transfer the beer. Set the regulator for 4-5 PSI. NO MORE! Then, turn on the gas valve on your manifold. At this point you should start to see beer flowing.
8. Keep an eye on the carboy transfer and also keep an eye on the pressure relief valve on the keg. Be mindful that if you started with more than 5 gallons in the carboy there is a chance you will get beer shooting out the pressure valve toward the end of the transfer.
9. Once the keg is filled turn off the gas and then disconnect the gas line from the carboy cap (there will be a small rush of CO2 from the connection so be ready).
10. Disconnect the line from the keg and close the release valve.... the keg is now ready to be carbed.
11. All done. I now use my dedicated cornie filled with sanitizer to clean the hose and racking cane, and parts so it is ready for next time.
NOTES ON SAFETY: I use glass carboys and while there is always risk involved when using CO2 and glass, I have never had any issues in the past 5 years.
I can't emphasize enough that the most important thing is to make sure the regulator is set to 4 PSI. Make sure to purge the line for 1-2 seconds before attaching (this will release any gas that is left in the line from a higher PSI). I would imagine carboy cap and 3/8 silicone connection to the carboy would "pop loose' before the carboy would fail. If you decide to try my method on glass carboys you do so at your own risk.
Cheers
Chris
hbt-oxy-8-922.jpg

Ive tried to get other to switch to kegging. You can even use the keg as a bottling bucket. add priming sugar, purge, fill from primary, then with a poor mans beer gun and little co2 fill bottles. THis method is a good way to really cut down the risk of adding oxygen.

@Weezy if your referring to my comment yes. If you follow Chris's example when you fill the keg you this will also purge out any oxygen.

I use a similar pressurized procedure for cleaning and storing, but haven't tried forcing from my bucket to keg. I bet the lid would would up to the pressure...

@Weezy
sure do.... during my cleaning & sanitizing process outlined at the beginning of the article.
Once I have my kegs cleaned and sanitized I remove the sanitizer using CO2 therefore the clean keg is not only sanitized but purged of oxygen as well and ready for transfer

I like the tube to gas connection idea. I'm going to try it with my better bottles. I do not trust my regulator enough (its been dropped too many times) to try with a glass carboy. Thanks for the article.

Other than storing the cornie with CO2 - could this all be done with an air compressor run through a small micron filter? Sure, you might expose the beer in the carboy to a small amount of air during the transfer, but I don't think it'd be so much that would warrant concern. You could also use the air to push around the oxiclean. I don't have a 50lb CO2 cylinder, so having an unlimited supply of pressurized air would be a nice option vs. having to refill tanks.

@LabRatBrewer just make sure you start it SLOWLY! DO NOT clamp down your carboy cap. If you run too much pressure it will blow it off this is better than having it blow your car boy. I usually run it about 2 to 4 psi.

@PortlandPatrick Ive thought about doing it with a bucket but havent yet. if you have success please share how you did it.

So, I assume there is a small amount of sanitizer solution left in the keg after you push the sanitizer out, right? Is this enough to mess with the flavor of the beer?

Great article. One thing to keep in mind if you use and store alkaline cleaners like PBW: CO2 forms carbonic acid when dissolved in solution and acids neutralize bases ...so do not store PBW solution under high CO2 pressure otherwise it'll be weakened or neutralized. I found out the hard way when I neutralized a 15.5gal keg of good strong PBW; checked it with pH meter and found it to be pH 7.5 (it usually is around 11 or 12). I confirmed this with PBW's customer support and they confirmed that there is no harm in pushing PBW with CO2 but they recommended not storing it under pressure.

Re the question asking about using filtered air. My opinion is that you should not use air for anything in the brewery other than an initial oxygenation of wort before pitching. Air contains enough oxygen to cause an almost immediate cardboard taste if it is applied to finished beer. Even a small CO2 tank will last a long, long time in the home brewery..so don't worry about using it!

@CBelli
I assume you're starting with a full keg of sanitizer and not a half keg as your instructions seem to indicate. If you only use a half you'll have an incomplete purge.
I use a utility pump based keg washer to wash rinse so don't use CO2 for that part of it but my sanitization process is similar. Start with a full keg of Starsan and force transer until all kegs are sanitized/purged.
@tgmartin000
I've never bothered measuring what gets left behind in an empty keg but dilluted in 5g I've never noticed an effect on the beer.

@tgmartin000
I generally have less than 1/2 ounce of residual sanitizer.... there is no off flavors attributed to this qty that I know of , and I have read many articles on the subject

@Thirteen
That is true, but what I left out in the instructions was that when I grab an empty keg for transfer I release pressure
and re-purge.

I do this, but I ferment in kegs under pressure using a spunding valve ( I just acquired 4 more 10 gallon corny kegs for a total of 5) it's the best damn way to ferment. I sold my Blichmann conical because it can't compare...
Anyway, for those of you looking to use this method, just buy some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231267932141
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331244375329

Do you ever take your kegs apart to clean them?
How long does your CO2 tank last doing this? Seems like it wouldn't last very long with all the CO2 you use to transfer PBW, StarSan, purge the O2 and transfer beer.

Why do you say you use sanitizer to clean? Don't you clean with some kind of cleaning agent (water being the MOST basic) and then sanitize with sanitizer? or when you're done, you just run Sanitizer though the lines and call it quits?

Thanks for sharing this. If you are filling the kegs that high are you risking beer flowing back through the gas lines into your regulator? I would recommend attaching on open gas QD as the relief instead of just opening the pressure relief valve. This way excess beer will flow out of the gas line instead of out of the relief valve and your overall level in the keg will be lower. Less chance of an overfill.

I used a firestone post and this adapter in my gas line setup
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1146

Good write-up. It's always nice to see how each homebrewer finds a different way to achieve a similar goal. Here's my process of kegging from a carboy (or any fermenter) with CO2. http://www.metabrewing.com/2014/08/avoiding-oxygen-when-kegging-co2.html

I love this technique! I bought the gas fitting using the eBay link provided in an earlier comment. The post fits perfectly into the carboy cap tube to create a nice seal. Thanks!

To follow up from a post months ago, I tried this on a bucket with a spigot on my wife's cider. I had a typical 6 gallon bucket that I used for a primary. After fermentation I attached a 3/8 id hose to the spigot. On the other end of the hose I had a ball lock attached. It was meant for something else but since I had it lying around I thought to give it a shot. I connected the ball lock to the keg and let gravity do its thing. I had to remove the airlock as it was sucking the sanitizer into the cider but it work. All off the cider was transferred straight into the keg. Use the following steps above just no co2.

Latest posts

Back