Oxyclean--head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
So I soaked a bunch of bottles in oxyclean, which worked great to get the labels off. But I'm worried a little about having some residue left inside the bottles. There were a couple bottles that I thought were rinsed off, but some residue appeared on the outside when they dried. Now I was more careful to rinse the inside, but of course I don't want a bottle to not have head or whatever.

Am I correct in assuming that oxyclean is like just about any other soap and that it could indeed reduce head/retention?

I believe Oxiclean does contain some detergents, so it could reduce head retention. But it rinses fairly easily in my experience, unlike dish soap.

After you rinse the Oxiclean, you're following with a sanitizer, right?

I think this is recommended on the Oxyclean packaging, but I've found that cold water seem to do a better job of removing all the cleaner.

I think this is recommended on the Oxyclean packaging, but I've found that cold water seem to do a better job of removing all the cleaner.

What is "this" as in "...this is recommend on the oxyclean packaging..."?

Yes, the bottles will be sanizited. I was just cleaning them up before storing them before using them. Some had labels, and some had several months old commercial beer with sediment on the bottom. (The beer is filtered, so I'm not sure what the sediment was. Also odd how crystal clear the old wheat beer was.)

Anyway, as per my practice, the bottles will be soaked in sanitizer briefly before using them. I imagine that'll get rid of any residue, but I wanted to feel a little better about it.

Anyway, as per my practice, the bottles will be soaked in sanitizer briefly before using them.

Cool...sorry to ask, I assumed you were but it wasn't real clear from the first post! ;)

I'm pretty paranoid about residue in bottles or equipment, so I tend to over rinse after using any kind of cleaning agent. Seems like dishwashing liquid in particular is impossible to rinse...I can put the tiniest speck of that stuff in a glass, and still get bubbles after the 4th or 5th rinse.

I use oxiclean free which doesn't have any scents or whatever, seems to work good for me. Two rinses and the residue is gone.

"this" == rinsing with cold water

Gotcha, I was thinking you were doing something beside what was normally recommended.

Anyway, I was just wondering if adding some vinegar to the oxyclean mixture itself would help rinsing? Anyone try that?

I would think that would be detrimental to the process. Adding vinegar to a bleach water solution makes the bleach sanitize better, however I think Oxy-Clean is better with just water. My vinegar rinse water post initial rinse off, is literally 3 shots in a 15.5 gallon keg. Can't smell it,taste it, even know it had been put in there. I just know it takes any powdery deposits I have had in brewing and makes them go away.

Don't add vinegar to the oxiclean solution or you'll make the oxiclean less effective. Simply give the bottles a quick rinse/bath in a vinegar-water solution after you use the oxiclean. I use two caps of white vinegar in a sink full of water. Give the bottles a quick dip in that solution, then give the insides a quick shot with a jet sprayer and you'll have zero residue.

Back