Oxyclean Free left crusty buildup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Left this in the kegs overnight, next day went to rinse it out and it seemed to be stuck to the sides and bottom, feels like sandpaper any one else have this problem?

It will come out with an acid rinse. I use starsan to handle this. Comes from using hard water with the oxiclean.

Well...there's the famous hard water + OxyFree white haze left behind that's easily cut with acid (white vinegar, Star San, what have you).
But it's a haze, not a "crusty buildup". The latter would be something that didn't get cleaned and likely needs some manual encouragement to break down and remove...

Cheers!

That makes sense, since I'm using well water. I'll make sure to dump star San in there and shake it around.

I had this exact problem and it’s why I’ve switched to using actual pbw.

I tried extra strength starsan, pbw, and even BS remover but nothing took it all away.

I finally bought some liquid line cleaner (which I believe is acid #6) and finally it worked. There were still a few stubborn grains that needed a scrubby pad to get off but the vast majority came off with the LLC, followed by PBW per the instructions

I will look into switching, as far as scrubbing, I can only get my arm in only to mid way of forearm. I'm going to try and use a keg brush and Star San first
I had this exact problem and it’s why I’ve switched to using actual pbw.

I tried extra strength starsan, pbw, and even BS remover but nothing took it all away.

I finally bought some liquid line cleaner (which I believe is acid #6) and finally it worked. There were still a few stubborn grains that needed a scrubby pad to get off but the vast majority came off with the LLC, followed by PBW per the instructions

I will look into switching, as far as scrubbing, I can only get my arm in only to mid way of forearm. I'm going to try and use a keg brush and Star San first
I’m just like you and can’t get my arm terribly far, Fortunately that area needing scrubbing was within reach. I only filled the keg half full and then inverted it. I might have been slightly short and the area I missed wasn’t fully under

I’m just like you and can’t get my arm terribly far,

For scrubbing the inside of a keg: go to a janitorial supply store and get a floor drain brush. It's like a giant bottle brush on a mop handle.
1570379241434.jpg

For scrubbing the inside of a keg: go to a janitorial supply store and get a floor drain brush. It's like a giant bottle brush on a mop handle.
I had never seen one of those, so never thought of it. I love it!

I use a dedicated toilet brush (a new one of course) for kegs, but you still need to get your arm in past the elbow to scrub the bottom. I guess a piece of PVC pipe glued over the handle could extend the handle enough. But that floor drain brush looks like the ticket, though. You don't even have to stick your hand inside. That lid opening can be razor sharp, I had to dremel and sand them smooth.

Latest posts

Back