Oxy-clean question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak-71

Reaction score
I know many people use OxyClean to clean the equipment.
Are you using “Versatile stain remover”? It has some surfactants mixed in and take some time to rinse (is it OK to use anyway?).
Or is there some older version w/o surfactant people use?

Thanks,
AK

Mine is Oxi Clean Versatile with Free on the lable. From their web site: "Available in Regular and Free (scent and dye-free) varieties."

http://www.oxiclean.com/in-wash/Products/oxiclean-versatile-stain-remover-powder.aspx

Products%5C57037-51740.jpg

Doesn't matter...your washing it out and sanitizing it anyway so you'll get it all off. I accidentily bought the regular oxy and there is no scent and I have seen no ill effects. It really does take 5-6 rinses to get it all off though.

Theh green lid is the one you want. The scent is very hard to get out of a pail if you soak it overnight. Best to use the odorless and have way less rinsing and no chance of weirdness with your beer. Just my .02, yeah I'm still a noob so I am soaking up info like a sponge and just read this info a day or two ago.
Bob in a chair

I also us it to soak bottles in to remove labels.

+1

a good soak in hot water with oxy-clean and most labels float right off. Some however take longer, and still others, the ones that are more "plastic-y", are a PITA. I quickly learned which bottles are worth delabeling and which were better suited for the recycling bin.

Latest posts

Back