Oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david fisher

Reaction score
hi all,

I just brewed an ale with the following:
14# 2-row

1# German Vienna

.5# carapils

.25# special B

.5 breiss caramel 40

2nd generation wyeast 1099

Mash temp 151.8 at 15 min mark

End mash temp: 152

Mash out temp: 161

Preboil gravity: 1.057

Preboil ph: 5.0 (strips)

Hop schedule:

1 oz centennial (60)

Irish moss (15)

.3 oz mosaic (10)

.3oz centennial (10)

.3oz amarillo (10)

Wyeast nutrient (10)

.7 oz mosaic (whirlpool)

.7oz amarillo (WP)

1 oz galaxy (WP)

WP temp: 180

OG 1.068

Now, I had a stuck mash and had to transfer by dumping to my boil kettle because my false bottom cane loose and grains got in. I cleaned it all out and started over. I have read a lot about hot side aeration and was wondering if that may cause some oxidation? Also, when I transferred through my plate chiller to fermenter, a white foam came out of my pump, not much but enough to stir my brain. I tasted the wort and it tasted great, but wonder if oxidation may happen over time, or if I’m just paranoid?

Thanks

hi all,

I just brewed an ale with the following:
14# 2-row

1# German Vienna

.5# carapils

.25# special B

.5 breiss caramel 40

2nd generation wyeast 1099

Mash temp 151.8 at 15 min mark

End mash temp: 152

Mash out temp: 161

Preboil gravity: 1.057

Preboil ph: 5.0 (strips)

Hop schedule:

1 oz centennial (60)

Irish moss (15)

.3 oz mosaic (10)

.3oz centennial (10)

.3oz amarillo (10)

Wyeast nutrient (10)

.7 oz mosaic (whirlpool)

.7oz amarillo (WP)

1 oz galaxy (WP)

WP temp: 180

OG 1.068

Now, I had a stuck mash and had to transfer by dumping to my boil kettle because my false bottom cane loose and grains got in. I cleaned it all out and started over. I have read a lot about hot side aeration and was wondering if that may cause some oxidation? Also, when I transferred through my plate chiller to fermenter, a white foam came out of my pump, not much but enough to stir my brain. I tasted the wort and it tasted great, but wonder if oxidation may happen over time, or if I’m just paranoid?

Thanks
Would not worry so much about what happened. We do want oxygen in our wort to some extent anyway for healthy fermentation. Cold side is more critical.

Never heard of anyone on the Homebrew scale having problems with HSA. More a myth than anything real on our scale, Might be an issue for the big boys. I've abused a few beers ..... been worried ..... never had a problem.

RDWHAHB

Never heard of anyone on the Homebrew scale having problems with HSA. More a myth than anything real on our scale, Might be an issue for the big boys. I've abused a few beers ..... been worried ..... never had a problem.

RDWHAHB

It's there. Perhaps you have it and have grown used to it. :)

Oxidation on the hot side is a muting of flavor. It's not the cardboard/sherry type of flavor oxidation produces in fermented beer.

I have considered doing a LoDo beer and from what I have read is that adding O2 on the hotside does not create a bad beer but rather a slightly different beer. As Mongoose has said, it may mute the maltiness but it won’t create the cardboardy taste that is attributed to post ferm oxidation.

I have considered doing a LoDo beer and from what I have read is that adding O2 on the hotside does not create a bad beer but rather a slightly different beer. As Mongoose has said, it may mute the maltiness but it won’t create the cardboardy taste that is attributed to post ferm oxidation.

That's really what it is, from my experience with it. To my taste, LODO beers--I do mostly ales but it's clearly apparent in Lagers--is a richer malt flavor.

I brewed a lot of beer before I started down the LODO wormhole, and a lot of it was good, even excellent. It's not that people can't produce good/excellent beer without LODO processes. It's just different. Whether the difference is worth the money, time, and futzing around, that's something everybody has to decide for themselves.

One thing I've found w/ the LODO beers--and I am not the first to note this, just passing it along--is that malt flavors pop. In fact, so much some times that the recipe has to be altered.

I brew a dark lager which uses some chocolate malt. I've had to drop the amount of that from 8 oz to about 5 oz just to maintain the same flavor. Otherwise, it's too dominant in terms of what I'm looking for.

I brew a rye beer that has 3# of rye malt and 8 oz of flaked rye. Same deal--when brewed with LODO the rye flavor is a punch in the mouth. I like it, but others find it overpowering. I'm in the process of trying to figure that recipe out. I need to find a reduction in the rye to balance with the rest of the malt bill.

Will everyone like what it does? I don't think so. I've brewed a Czech Pils a couple times using LODO, and the pils flavor is unlike anything I've ever tasted. In fact, it pops so much that it's not a favorite of mine, though others who have had it have raved about it. Bizarre to produce a beer others rave about but which I don't care for all that much. :(

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the brewer takes pains to reduce/remove residual dissolved oxygen from strike and sparge water (which most homebrewers do not do), the dissolved oxygen will readily react with the wort. Additional exposure to air during your transfer to/from the kettle, might not make much difference.

Back