Oxidized or not You tell me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMyLove

Reaction score
Yesterday night I was staring at my beer in the primary fermenter which has been in there since March 5, 2013 and it went from a vigorous bubbling the very same day with a yeast starter to nothing last night. So I remebered incorrectly that I should turn it and shake it. Well I shook it like it owed me money and rolled it mostly keeping the blow off valve in the sanitized water and at two points the valve left the water the hose filled with the wort and I dont think got air into it. But then I made the genious move of taking off the blow off valve for 5 secs and replaced it. It started to bubble again but I think I was to rough with my Irish Red Ale what do you think? Also how long could it keep if I did oxidize it?

:mug:

3 days in your more than likely ok? Just let it ride 3 weeks then start taking your FG readings.....

Since your fermenter was probably full of CO2, there would not be any air inside to cause oxidation. You probably shook CO2 out of suspension and thus the bubbling. Rousing the yeast like that would probably cause a little bit of continued fermentation, too.

A strong 2 or 3 day ferment is pretty ordinary. You didn't need to do anything. Sometimes a gentle swirl can be of benefit. But avoid shaking it like that in the future.

It should be fine. Let it sit for two weeks and let everything settle out.

Oxidation is something that effects the longer term storage. I think that most will indicate that oxidation affects flavors 6 months down the road. From your description, I doubt that you oxidized it.

I appreciate the response thank you very much. I look forward to drinking delicious beer and I appreciate you reassuring me that all is well.

Latest posts

Back