Oxiclean ineffective

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Just curious... I decided to try out oxiclean after a bit of reading about it (I'm a pbw user) and after an hour soak in my kettle....it did nothing.

Maybe I'm using it for the wrong purpose? I was trying to loosen up the beer stone in the bottom and it was completely ineffective.

A splash of white vinegar in the kettle and everything just wipes right off.

So those of you that say it's awesome... What are you using it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oxyclean doesn't match PBW, but is an ingredient in PBW. You can make your own by mixing 2 parts oxiclean and 1 part sodium metasilicate. Red Devil TSP/90 is sodium metasilicate. It's kind of hard to find, but it's out there. I get mine at Ace Hardware. I'm with you, I think oxyclean by itself doesn't work very good. Especially if you're used to using PBW.

For me Oxi-clean for bottles and PBW soak for grungy fermenters. The stone on the bottom of the kettle is just cosmetic and yes it bother me too. Bar Keepers friend on the SS kettle cleans it right up inside and out (I am 3 for 3 for boil overs as of yesterday).

Due to its price, I reserve PBW for the really tough messes, namely my BK. Nothing's better for removing baked-on grime. For carboys, 2 scoops of Sun oxygen cleaner (generic brand Oxiclean from Walmart) and fill to the top with warm water, let it sit overnight and all the grunge will be gone. In fact, I can see the oxi starting to clean within an hour, as it will bubble like crazy and the junk starts to float to the top. A couple rinses and set upside down to dry.

I use OxyClean exclusively now, and haven't bought PBW in quite some time.

For carboys, I fill them with about 3/4 scoop and some warm water. I let it sit overnight, and the gunk is piled up in the bottom of the carboy in the morning.

Mash tun, cpvc manifold, tubing, plastic mash paddle... almost all of my brewing gear takes a soak in OxyClean. I also use it in my keggle to loosen things, although that's one component that I still scrub after it's sat for a while (although it doesn't take much scrubbing).

It's worked really well for me, and it's much cheaper than PBW.

Interesting. It seems most people use it for carboys/fermenters. I've never had a mess in my fermentor that required extended soaking. Just fill with hot water and shake it. Usually comes out spotless in a couple minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back