overshot the gravity...what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
SG was supposed to be 1.039-.041 wound up @ .05.. I used beer smith and it said that 1 gallon of water would dilute 5 gallons of 1.05 wort down to .04. Question is the beer was put into the fermenter tonight. Would it be a bad idea to add the additional gallon this late in the game? Should I just roll with the punches and see what my 0.05 gets me? I think I know the answer is just leave it alone but another gallon of beer wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

thanks again for all the help..

It's really your call. A slightly higher alcohol beer isn't so bad, but if it is innapropriate to the style you may not care for it.

If you are confident in your measurements and you want to get closer to the anticipated gravity you can add some water. Anytime in the first 24 hours or so would be OK as the yeast should uptake any oxygen you introduce during this period. If you choose to add water make sure you boil it to sterilize. If you are not confident in your OG measurement you could add less water as well. Maybe split the difference and add 1/2 or 3/4 gallon.

Nothing wrong with leaving it as is though, and that will likely be the most common answer you get here.

Cheers.

I just made a Kolsch and ended up with %5 higher efficiency than usual for some reason. Now I have an Imperial Kolsch ;)

Latest posts

Back