Overriding orAL error on PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
So for my HERMS system I just recently switch to an RTD setup similar to this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-pt100-rtd-1-2-npt-thermowell-225215/

Problem is that I don't typically use any temperature sensing for the boil but when I unplug the RTD, I get the orAL error because there's an open circuit. Is there any way to get past the orAL error and just use the manual setting to control the BK element? It's kind of annoying to have to keep the RTD plugged into the HLT during the boil just so the orAL error won't show up.

Yes.

From my HOW TO: Testing your control panel / Troubleshooting tips:

Can I test a PID without using a temperature probe?

The SYL-2352 PIDs require that a temperature probe be connected in order for them to work, even if you want to test and run them in manual mode (such as it done in the boil kettle). If you wish to test a PID without a temperature probe do the following: Set the PID SN setting to 0 to set the probe type to a 2-wire thermocouple probe and use a copper wire to short the PID terminals 4 & 5 together. The PID will then display ambient temperature and you'll be able to run the PID in manual mode.

Kal

Thanks for the info! Since I have an RTD connected to terminals 3, 4, and 5 I guess I can then set it to SN = 0 and then connect the two pins on the XLR connectors that go to terminals 4 and 5 with some copper wire and this would have the same effect as connecting the terminals directly. I'll have to try this out tonight.

So are you the creator of the electric brewery? That's been my guide to building my setup, although mine isn't nearly as sophisticated or shiny.

QQ - how do you clean/dry the HERMS coil? I guess you probably have less issue than me since you used SS and I used copper but the thought of any moisture sitting in there between brews scares me a little. Right now I usually do a PBW rinse, flush with water, then use an air mattress pump to see how much of the water I can blow out of the coil. Still scares me though lol

So are you the creator of the electric brewery? That's been my guide to building my setup, although mine isn't nearly as sophisticated or shiny.
I am - hopefully you've found it useful!

QQ - how do you clean/dry the HERMS coil?
Mine doesn't need to be cleaned. If you follow my brew day step by step process you'll see that I run the sparge water through it so it cleans itself. Here's how the hoses are connected:

BrewDay-STEP5-Sparge.jpg

This saves a lot of work. After the brew day is done I use a shop vac for a few seconds to blow out any standing water.

As well, there's no need to get everything on the hot side of the brewing process completely sanitized/clean as everything is boiled anyway.

Kal

Thanks a bunch. yeah I run my sparge through it as well so maybe my PBW is overkill. I guess with the copper I'm more worried about verdigris than sanitizing.

My first question is why do you want to disconnect the RTD? (I'm guessing so you can take the MLT or whatever out to clean during the boil).
An easier way would be to leave the probe selected as a PT100 RTD and then either; make up a DIN connector with a 100 ohm resistor over the pins going to 4 & 5 (and you may need to also jumper from the pins going to 4 & 3), or connect a DTDP switch to the between the wires going from the PID 4 & 5 with one set of poles going straight to the XLR connector, and the other going to the 100 ohm resistor (and the pin 4 side jumped to the pin 3 after the switch). This will basically trick it to think a PT100 RTD is connected and it is sensing 32°F

Sorry the picture shows "DIN" connector not "XLR" but hopefully you get it :D

switched.png

Back