Overly Excited Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Therefore_I_Am

Reaction score
Hello!

We are now approaching three and a half weeks with our Imperial IPA that had some pretty quick fermentation that resulted into me having to implement a blow off (see post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-overflow-question-456484/.)

Now the question is, it has been active with the airlock back on and it doesn't seem to want to quit, see this video: http://thosedamnzombiesin3d.com/homebrew/movies/MOV_4146.MOV.mov

Is it safe to bottle? Should I wait it out another few days? Any advice would be much obliged!

Cheers!

The only way to be sure is to check the gravity.

With it still moving at that rate, there's obviously some pressure being created by something. If I were going solely by airlock activity, I wouldn't bottle it. However, I have my trusty hydrometer and I can go by the final gravity and its stability (or lack thereof).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The airlock is not a good means of determining fermentation. There is a considerable amount of co2 in suspension in the beer after fermentation that will be released periodically based on ambient temperature, atmospheric pressure and jostling the fermenter around. You need to take a gravity reading to really know where your at. If it stays the same for 3 days, bottle that thing.

Thank you uatuba for your quick response! I agree that it is a lot of pressure from something, which is what brought up my concern!

I finally bought a refractometer so I would be using that in place of the hydrometer. Basically, do a reading now and then again in a few days and if it hasn't changed...time to bottle?

With that much pressure do I even need the corn sugar to prime or do you think I would be okay with out?

Edit: Thank you Yermom as well for your quick response!

NEVER go by the airlock, EVER. It could be co2 escaping, as mentioned above the only true way to know if to check the gravity. Also, I would suggest using a hydrometer to check the FG. You can use a refractometer but these are best used to check OG.

brettg20 Could you please explain to me why a refractometer would not be best to use for FG? Remember I is a noob here :) I decided to buy the refractometer because it is much easier for me to do readings than with a hydrometer.

Refractometers can not account for alcohol. There are formulas you can use to get close but a cheap ol hydrometer is the most accurate way. The only thing that really throws those off is temp, but at room temp it's not much. You can always use this calculator if you're not sure.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

You can certainly use a refractometer to make sure things aren't changing. Just don't use it to attempt to get an accurate final (or original, for that matter) gravity.

If you get three identical readings in three days, you're good to bottle. And yes, you'll need to add priming sugar as per the instructions in the recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back