Overhopping ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nianticcardplayer

Homebrewing Since 2009
Reaction score
Ok so today is brew day #2 (Raspberry Wheat Abita Purple Haze Clone from AHS).

Recipe calls for 1/2 ounce of Chinook For 60 minutes

Then 1/2 ounce of Mt. hood for last five minutes or boil.

The packages came labeled 1 ounce....I don't have a scale that will weigh that precise....so will the tastes be way off using the whole package? :confused:

14g is half oz ;)

If you use the whole oz of Chinook you will be doubling the bitterness. If you use the whole oz of mt hood you will have more hoppy flavor

Not the way I got it from the aissie's on the cooper's site. Sounds like we're getting into US Standard,Metric,Imperial thing again. I just looked it up on my printouts from sciencemadesimple.com. You're right,28.34952312g. Dang metrics. I stand corrected,note to self...read notes 1st...;)

You'll kill the style if you use full hop amounts. Pour em out on a paper plate and divvy them up.

_

Or just do what I did,& go to Target & pop the $20 on a 10lb digital scale. It takes a camera battery (the flat round ones) like my old Canon 35mm takes. It measures lb,kg,oz,& grams. Tempered glass surface to measure on. You can put a container on it & zero it out. Quick-n-handy.
I got tired of trying to eyeball it.

Well I found the Mrs. Food scale I got close so shouldn't be to far off.

image-2011186454.jpg

Back