Overcarbonated? Frustrated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphmag025

Reaction score
Every time we keg a beer we have trouble no matter what we do. Right now we have two kegs of plinian legacy that we kegged two weeks ago. Tastes good just no carbonation. 42 degrees set to 11psi. Started at 30 for 24 hours. Turned down to 20 and now has been at 11 for a week....thick tasting feel, almost no head or carbonation. Please help.

What are the details of your setup?
How are you serving? What kind of tap? Line length and ID?
Does it come out really fast and then have no carb in the glass? Is it foaming a lot?

Not coming out fast or foaming. We have about 6 feet of tubing. I don't remember the name brand of faucet....bought it about 10 years ago.

At serving pressure (~11 psi) it will take a full two weeks to carbonate a moderate gravity beer. I'm not familiar with plinian legacy (sounds interesting!) it might just need more time.

A few thoughts:
1. 42f is a little bit warm, I keep my kegs at 34f. Lower temps=co2 dissolves more quickly.
2. How full is the keg? I like to fill mine while the PRV valve is locked open, and I stop when the beer comes out. When I hook it up to 60psi for 24 hours to burst carbonate, it'll do nothing unless I draw off a pint or two so that the level falls enough to expose a larger surface area. Filled all the way to the point of overflow, the surface area exposed to the gas could be as small as the diameter of a dime or even less. In that condition, it would take a couple of weeks to carbonate fully, even at 60psi...
3. Have you tried rocking the keg back and forth to slosh the beer a bit? This can greatly increase the rate of gas absorption.

Good luck!!

At 42° and 11 psi your carb level at equilibrium will only be about 2.24-2.25 volumes. This may be on the low side for the style.

Also, did you purge the headspace in the keg of air (multiple pressurize and vent cycles) after you filled the keg? If not then the CO2 partial pressure is less than needed because some of the headspace pressure is coming from air. You also need to purge the keg to get rid of O2 in the headspace to prevent the beer from oxidizing. This is especially critical for hoppy beers.

Jayjay's advice about overfilling slowing down carbonation rate is also correct. But, colder beer does not absorb CO2 faster, it absorbs more CO2, at a slower rate, than warmer beer.

Brew on :mug:

At 42° and 11 psi your carb level at equilibrium will only be about 2.24-2.25 volumes. This may be on the low side for the style.

Also, did you purge the headspace in the keg of air (multiple pressurize and vent cycles) after you filled the keg? If not then the CO2 partial pressure is less than needed because some of the headspace pressure is coming from air. You also need to purge the keg to get rid of O2 in the headspace to prevent the beer from oxidizing. This is especially critical for hoppy beers.

Jayjay's advice about overfilling slowing down carbonation rate is also correct. But, colder beer does not absorb CO2 faster, it absorbs more CO2, at a slower rate, than warmer beer.

Thanks @doug293cz for clarifying, I had it all wrong!

Thanks for the info. Yes, we did purge the headspace.
So, should I turn the temp down and the gas up to 60 for a while? Last night I turned it up to 40. I would really like to get it carbonated to enjoy some over the weekend.

Every time we keg a beer we have trouble no matter what we do. Right now we have two kegs of plinian legacy that we kegged two weeks ago. Tastes good just no carbonation. 42 degrees set to 11psi. Started at 30 for 24 hours. Turned down to 20 and now has been at 11 for a week....thick tasting feel, almost no head or carbonation. Please help.

I once has a similar issue and discovered it was the gas post. I replaced it and now my beers carb in about a week. I assume the poppet was bad but I replaced the entire post.

You should be able to replace without any issues as long as you purge a few times. Mine was fairly new too when it failed. I discovered it after I bought a new keg and realized the new one was carbing in about a week at serving pressure. The other one took 3 weeks at higher pressure. Once I replaced the post both now carb in a week. I store my beer at 38 degrees and carb at 10psi.

There are a couple of ways to hurry that up. 1. put 25psi in keg, disconnect it and lean it on a angle and rock it constantly to slosh the beer around. check with a pressure gauge to see that pressure has gone down. fill and repeat. 2. turn up to 20psi on reg, leave it for several days. might need to be colder as mentioned above

Thanks for the info. Yes, we did purge the headspace.
So, should I turn the temp down and the gas up to 60 for a while? Last night I turned it up to 40. I would really like to get it carbonated to enjoy some over the weekend.
I wouldn't burst carb at overpressure at this point. You are at an unknown carb level, and using overpressure risks over carbonation. The overpressure methods work best when you know your starting carb level, and you know the time, temp, pressure parameters that won't push things too far.

I'd cool the beer to the mid to high 30's, and then agitate the keg for five minutes every 15 minutes at 12 - 13 psi. Stop the process when you no longer hear CO2 flowing when you first start an agitation cycle. You cannot over carb using this method.

You want to get this done as soon as possible, in order to give the trub as much time to settle as possible before serving.

IME, if you want to make the carbonation in keg easier (and faster) get one of the carbonating lids from MoreBeer. I got one earlier this year and it worked really well while I was still carbonating in kegs. Since I've switched to carbonating in conical, I've not needed it.

The lid has a stone on the end of a length of tubing inside. Outside is a gas ball lock post. It comes with easy to follow instructions (even a cave man could do it).

I mean, is it necessary to take off the carbonation lid after it is carbonated and put back the regular one?
No... Just move the gas connection to the regular one on the keg. If you only have one keg on tap at a time, and have time enough between when one kicks and when you want to serve another to take the carbonation process into account, then you'll be good.

I've not, yet, decided if I'm going to keep the carbonating lid I have, or not. I had to trim the tubing length to work with my 3 gallon kegs. It still works just as well with 6 gallon kegs.

I don't think I have ever used a carbonation lid for beer, but fwiw, they work really well for carbonating sodas (which can be challenging). I just leave them on until the keg kicks.

I'd cool the beer to the mid to high 30's, and then agitate the keg for five minutes every 15 minutes at 12 - 13 psi. Stop the process when you no longer hear CO2 flowing when you first start an agitation cycle. You cannot over carb using this method.

Thanks everybody! Going to give this a try.

@murphmag025 be sure to disconnect the gas QD from the keg's post before each "shake" cycle, and reconnect it for each "fill" cycle.

Back