Over Stabilized Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
So I just realized that I added double the KMeta to my cider to stabilize for back sweetening. I added 1 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp like the package recommended for 5 gals.

My fermentation is done, all I wanted to do was prevent the AJC from fermenting out. So the question is, is this cider drinkable? I read that I could remove some SO2 by cascade aeration. So I did that, and I have it sitting in a pot covered with a towel. Wondering if this is enough. Opinions appreciated.

The proper dose for a 5 gal batch (19 l) is around 1/4 tsp (1.9 g) of Potassium Metabisulfite which is enough to add 50 ppm of SO2.

After adding the sulfites, you should wait 12 hours before adding the second additive which is Potassium Sorbate.

The recommended dose for Potassium Sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon or 2.5 tsp (8.2 g) of potassium sorbate for a 5 gal (19 liter) batch.

The proper dose for a 5 gal batch (19 l) is around 1/4 tsp (1.9 g) of Potassium Metabisulfite which is enough to add 50 ppm of SO2.

After adding the sulfites, you should wait 12 hours before adding the second additive which is Potassium Sorbate.

The recommended dose for Potassium Sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon or 2.5 tsp (8.2 g) of potassium sorbate for a 5 gal (19 liter) batch.

I was going by the instructions on the package. Based on that, I should have added 1/2 tsp. So do you think the cider can be saved?

So I just realized that I added double the KMeta to my cider to stabilize for back sweetening. I added 1 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp like the package recommended for 5 gals.

My fermentation is done, all I wanted to do was prevent the AJC from fermenting out. So the question is, is this cider drinkable? I read that I could remove some SO2 by cascade aeration. So I did that, and I have it sitting in a pot covered with a towel. Wondering if this is enough. Opinions appreciated.

Usually, like was mentioned the dosage is 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons, so double check and see what you have.

If you double dosed it, or more, you may want to wait a while for it to dissipate some to avoid sulfur flavors. Put it in a carboy, though, NOT out in the open air.

also, keep in mind that campden/sulfite does NOT stabilize the cider. It's an antioxidant. To stabilize, you'll need potassium sorbate.

Ok, sounds like I need to give it time. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

and don't be afraid to taste your cider. If it tastes too sulfuric then that may be a problem. If it tastes OK then there is nothing to worry about. K-meta will provide free sulfur to bind oxygen (as Yooper and others have said) and the amount of free sulfur a wine "needs" is dependent on many things - not least the amount of acidity (lower acid wines need more).

and don't be afraid to taste your cider. If it tastes too sulfuric then that may be a problem. If it tastes OK then there is nothing to worry about. K-meta will provide free sulfur to bind oxygen (as Yooper and others have said) and the amount of free sulfur a wine "needs" is dependent on many things - not least the amount of acidity (lower acid wines need more).

Thank you, that’s good to know.

Back