Over shot OG big time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yugga

Reaction score
Hi all, I just brewed my 3rd ever all grain biab yesterday. It is a hobgoblin clone with a little extra grain than called for (3/4 lb).

grain bill
maris otter 8.75#
crystal 80 2.00#
chocolate 0.25#

I mashed at 151 for 75 min then mashout at 168 for 10min. Instead of a full volume mash I kept some in a second pot for "sparge" heated to 168. I put the grain bag in there, mixed it up, then drained and squeezed the bag like it owed me money. For a 5 gallon batch the OG was supposed to be around 1054 (70% eff) but mine is way over, 1068! Hydrometer reading at 68 deg. How can this be? I stirred the wort well before taking the reading. This means my mash efficiancy is around 85%. Previous brews were more like 70%. I realize that this sounds like the opposite of a problem, but i was wondering if i should add a bit of water to it tog bring the OG down a bit.

thanks

I just top off to recipe volume. Once in a while,my efficiency goes way up. I just roll with it. My Maori IPA was supposed to be like 1.062 or so. got an OG of 1.074! it still turned out good.

Sounds like a good problem to have. Let us know how it turns out?

Will do, i added a little water and brought OG down to 1064 so by the time i carb it i should have 6.6 abv. It smells amazing.

It's your 3rd batch. Relax. As you continue to brew and refine your process, you'll become much more consistent.

The difference sounds like the sparge. Sparging is inherently more efficient than just mashing in the full volume of water.

I agree with unionrdr, if your volume is correct, and your efficiency is higher than you expect, you have two options: 1) add water to reduce O.G., or 2) let it go w/o touching it, and recalculate the ending ABV%. Some styles are forgiving with a slightly higher O.G., and some are not. Of course, since you are brewing that beer for you and not some judge, just let it go.

It happened to me most recently on an IPA,so it was all good to me. All the hops in that style make it more forgiving ABV-wise.

I just bottled the "DoubleGoblin", the FG was a little high at 1.019-20 instead of 1.017. AVB once carbonated should be around 6.2. I couldn't resist, I had to taste it so I chilled a bottle of it and used my wife's soda-stream to carbonate it (she loves when I do that). It tastes great, maybe slightly sweeter than I would have liked but very good none the less. I'm pumped, this tastes like a quality beer, not "home brew". A far cry from the kit and kilo that I made a few months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back