Over-Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JProulx

Reaction score
I bottled yesterday and made a small mistake with priming. It isn't huge, but it was a mistake.

I had some difficulty with my siphon and ended up losing a bit of product. I didn't adjust my priming solution, though. As a result, my beer is now over-primed. I checked a calculator and ended up with 3.2 volumes: too high for a milk stout.

Today, 15 hours after bottling, I decided to try to remedy the mistake for some reason. I'm using flip-top bottles, so I popped the caps until I heard some gas escape and re-sealed it. I read this as a typical way to deal with over-priming, but I'm wondering if 15 hours later was too late for such a small amount of over-priming. Am I going to end up with undercarbonated beer now?

I'm not really worrying, just wondering what to expect. Since this is my first batch, I probably should have left it alone, but I'm getting impatient!

I think you are going to have to wait it out and see. You must have patience. Wait 2-3 weeks and test a bottle.

Got it, I'll be patient. It smelled incredible and tasted pretty good before carbonating, so I'd be a bit choked if I lost this batch. Such is homebrewing, though! They're not all successes.

Thanks

To ease your impatience I recommend brewing another batch. Works for me. :)

Back