Over carbed cider in fridge before releasing pressure - good idea or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
So I must have screwed up something to do with my ( first attempt ) at backsweetning bottle conditioned cider ( to have been followed by pasteurization ) ... I opened a bottle after about 4 days to see if it was carbed enough to pasteurize and I got a serious gusher. From what I've read it's dangerous to pasteurize in this state so I guess I have to release the pressure and recap before I can do that. Problem with that is I lose like 20% of the cider when I open one so what I did was put them all in the fridge with the intention of leaving them there for about 2 days to absorb the co2 into the cider ( and hopefully loose less cider ) ... I'm pretty sure this will halt the priming process and not create more CO2 because the ec1118 yeast doesn't work at 1 deg C - but I'm just wondering whether this is a waste of time or whether it could be doing some other damage - does anyone know whether I should just recap them now and take a hit on the lost cider

Just in case anybody is in the same situation I can report that leaving the cider in the fridge for 2 days did basically nothing :smh:

I have had this situation before with a Belgian dubbel. Putting it in the fridge will theoretically increase the solubility of the CO2 in the solution, but there is so little headspace in the bottles that it doesn't really change the situation.

Safety:
Eye protection is recommended at a minimum. If you suspect bottle bombs (not gushers, but bombs) are possible, I suggest doing this in a tupperware bin or other protective enclosure with gloves and long sleeves.

You need to three tools for this:
1. A quarter or nickel (any coin that basically covers the cap is good)
2. A hand-held bottle opener
3. A capper

Procedure:
1. Place coin on top of cap. The coin will protect the cap from deformation while using the opener.
2. Use the opener, such that the fulcrum is positioned on the coin, to gently crack the seal of the cap. You will hear a hiss of gases escaping the bottle.
3. Watch the foam in the bottle. When it arrives at the top of the bottle, release the opener, and the cap will pretty much re-seal.
4. Use the capper to ensure that the re-sealing process is complete.
5. Allow the bottles to re-settle for a week or two, then test one.

Latest posts

Back