Over-carbed beer (no bottle bombs though)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuffDaddy

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a redundant post. I tried searching the forum for an existing thread with the answers to my questions, but no luck...

It looks like I used a little too much priming sugar before bottling, and now my beer is VERY carbonated. Whenever I pour it into a glass, it is about 90% head. It looks like a very frothy rootbeer float. And I can't drink it straight from the bottle because it turns straight to foam upon contact with my mouth.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can still drink this beer without losing so much of it to head? I mean, one the foam is cleared away the beer tastes pretty good.

Thanks for the help.

Are you chilling them before opening them? And if so, how long? Try at least a week to see if the cold helps re-absorb the CO2 into solution...

If that doesn't work, and it's been at least three weeks in the bottle, you could try venting them and recapping them with fresh caps.

I chilled them 3 days. I still have about 7 in the fridge right now, so I guess I'll leave them in there until next weekend. Hopefully that does the trick.

If I do have to recap them...how long would I vent for?

If you pop one open and leave it alone will it foam out by itself?

If not just pop it open and let it sit in the fridge 5 minutes, then pour it slowly in a glass holding the glass sideways.

So I stuck these down in my basement to forget about for a while. This weekend I cracked one open and the carbination was PERFECT. :mug:

Moral of the story = time heals all wounds.

Good to hear it all worked out. I overcarbed a batch that was hopeless. I left them in the fridge for about 3 weeks and they still foamed out as soon as I cracked open the bottles. I think I rushed them into the bottle. Ended up dumping them all :(

Back