Over-carbed beer (no bottle bombs though)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HuffDaddy

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a redundant post. I tried searching the forum for an existing thread with the answers to my questions, but no luck...

It looks like I used a little too much priming sugar before bottling, and now my beer is VERY carbonated. Whenever I pour it into a glass, it is about 90% head. It looks like a very frothy rootbeer float. And I can't drink it straight from the bottle because it turns straight to foam upon contact with my mouth.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can still drink this beer without losing so much of it to head? I mean, one the foam is cleared away the beer tastes pretty good.

Thanks for the help.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are you chilling them before opening them? And if so, how long? Try at least a week to see if the cold helps re-absorb the CO2 into solution...

If that doesn't work, and it's been at least three weeks in the bottle, you could try venting them and recapping them with fresh caps.

OP
H

HuffDaddy

Reaction score
I chilled them 3 days. I still have about 7 in the fridge right now, so I guess I'll leave them in there until next weekend. Hopefully that does the trick.

If I do have to recap them...how long would I vent for?

Stef1966

Reaction score
If you pop one open and leave it alone will it foam out by itself?

If not just pop it open and let it sit in the fridge 5 minutes, then pour it slowly in a glass holding the glass sideways.

OP
H

HuffDaddy

Reaction score
So I stuck these down in my basement to forget about for a while. This weekend I cracked one open and the carbination was PERFECT. :mug:

Moral of the story = time heals all wounds.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
Good to hear it all worked out. I overcarbed a batch that was hopeless. I left them in the fridge for about 3 weeks and they still foamed out as soon as I cracked open the bottles. I think I rushed them into the bottle. Ended up dumping them all :(