Outmeal Stout: Is it normal to lose this much to sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymonkey

Reaction score
So I brewed my first Oatmeal Stout recently and have ended up with an amazing amount of sediment upon transferring to the secondary. See photo - is this normal? I usually get an inch or two at most.

The brew-day was smooth. Extract with specialty grains. Used hop bag, fine grain bag. Siphoning to the 6G carboy resulted in very little material in the funnel strainer - it didn't clog once.

About 24 hours into the fermentation, things got a little out of control and I had to add a blow-off which actively purged kreusen for a full day, then things settled down. The beer was in the primary for three weeks and transferred to the secondary Saturday.

The yeast was White Labs Irish Ale Yeast, FWIW. Anyway, I've probably only got three and a half gallons of beer in the secondary..lol.

EDIT: Also of note, the gravity has gone from 1.057 to 1.019 and it has been visually inactive for about 18 days or so so I felt comfortable moving it to the secondary.

_MG_7818.jpg

I don't know if its normal, but I had the same thing happen to me. I've only done one oatmeal stout though so I'm no expert.

Edit: I though oats had to be mashed to actually get anything it of them?

I held them at 155-153 for 30 minutes and then did kind of a mini-mash-out and finally a sparge on them, so I guess they were technically mashed, if not in the traditional sense of the word. I'm pleased to mention that I built a mash-tun last week and am about to make the jump. I determined that I needed a new brew-kettle in order to proceed, so this weekends brew was partial mash as well, but next weekend it's AG for me!

Edit: I though oats had to be mashed to actually get anything it of them?

No. They only need to be mashed with a base malt if you are looking to get fermentable sugars out of them. As an adjunct, they can be steeped to get the body and flavor you are really looking for.

BigB said:
No. They only need to be mashed with a base malt if you are looking to get fermentable sugars out of them. As an adjunct, they can be steeped to get the body and flavor you are really looking for.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I thought it was funny that this was a kit from my LHBS and the name is Up & Over Oatmeal Stout. I wonder if that has anything to do with the explosive fermentation. If that had happened in the middle of the night we'd have had a huge mess! This was the first beer I've had that tried to get out of the 6 Gallon carboy..nasty mess in the airlock. I'm just glad it didn't clog!

Kind of. You can get some flavor (but not all), and you can't get the other stuff because it ends up in that pile of glop pictured above. :D

Cheers,

Bob

Back