Oud bruin kriek (easy extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klowneyy

Reaction score
I just brewed this the other day its fermenting great expecting it to be 10% plus alcohol content so not a true oud bruin kriek obviously lol

O.G. 1.080
Boiled 3 gallons of water

I used:
0.75 cara 45L
0.75 special-b
0.125 De-bitered black
Steeped for 30 mins at 165F brought up to boil.

Added 6lbs pilsen malt syrup took off burner added another 3lbs wheat dry malt extract stirred than boiled agin for 60 mins.

Cooled to around 75F moved to 5 gallon glass carboy added 2 gallon water to top off to 5 gallons.

Added 3278 wyeast lambic blend plus dregs from buxton pale sour ale, crooked stave st. Bretta 100% brettanomyces, and destihl here gose nothing wild sour.

Planning on moving to secondary add a can of organic cherry juice ferment for 6 months add another can of organic cherry juice ferment for another 2 months.

Will update as progressives

Where do you get 1.080 from?

In 5 gallons:

Grains will contribute .005
6 lbs LME will contribute .042
3 lbs LME will contribute .027

= 1.074 ...... thought it would be a lot less than that. I guess it is close to 1.080.

High alcohol can suppress the souring bugs. The Brett will be OK, but you may not get the souring effect you are after. I try and limit my OG to about 1.055 for sour beers. It may work fine, but I think at 8%, some of the bugs can quit working.

Took first reading today. Gravity is at 1.030 and p.h is 3.6. For being a very young sour beer. I must say already has a great funky/vinegar smell and has a sour after taste. Still a good amount of sugar in wort.

Its going great so far. I just added yeast nutrients to it today. So far the best beer ive brewed

Are you using a refractometer? I would have expected gravity to be lower than 1.030 after a week.

Back