Otherwise Brewing Blog Post - Foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in there he mentions Ondea Pro at a rest of 120-130F. Did I read that right? That’s like hot tub water. All the other threads on here talk about 140-150F. Thoughts?

So in there he mentions Ondea Pro at a rest of 120-130F. Did I read that right? That’s like hot tub water. All the other threads on here talk about 140-150F. Thoughts?

That's a typical protein rest in a decoction mash that you can find described in books like Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer. I've personally been doing a 125-145-165 decoction mash my past few beers with good results.

Here's additional detail on Ondea Pro from the ZT club wiki: Combines multiple enzymes including pullulanase, α-amylase, cellulase, xylanase, protease, and lipase. The key feature for gluten free brewers is pullulanase a debranching enzyme that hydrolyzes (1,6)-alpha-D-glucosidic linkages in pullulan, amylopectin and glycogen. Because the different enzymes are effective and denature at different temperatures, it will be more effective in a rising temperature mash routine — and enzymes should be added prior to saccharification steps. Product literature suggests starting at 53c and rising to 64c (max).

Interesting. That must be the difference for my last brew. I changed from a 175-155-180 to a 175-140-180. Lowering the middle step down (when i add in the Ondea pro or previously the sebyl 100) into the range you gave at the bottom must have been the big change since my efficiency and ease of fermentation went way up.

Anything that Otherwise (Aaron) posts is just pure gold. He has done the extensive research/experiments and is very willing to share.

Back