OT Star san question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pupwalker

Reaction score
sorry have no idea where to ask being a non brew question, would this be ok to spray down cutting boards, meat grinder sausage mixer etc? we do a monthly grind of chicken and vegies making raw dog food.... been using bleach, but this just might be a better option????:off:

Yes dish before you set zuljin off on a code monkey-esque rant. I don't think my ribs could handle another one

Since Starsan is an acid based, no-rinse sanitizer, wouldn't it promote corrosion on metal unless rinsed off? The data sheet doesn't mention it:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-San-HB4.pdf
I've noticed the metal bails on my fliptop bottles will often darken after exposure to Starsan, I try to avoid getting it on the metal, but it happens every time I bottle. Just something to think about.
Regards, GF.

You see it's kinda like this, we enjoy fresh good stuff in our lives... would you rather have a cold home made beer, or a can of the cheapest beer around? we believe the fresh raw chicken and veggies are far healthier for dogs...Our puppers are at ideal weight, great coats, great white teeth! Our vet agrees with our recipe,( chicken quarters (bone and all) potatoes, yams, carrots, yogurt, pumpkin, chopped greens) close to what she feeds, it also coasts less than the BETTER kibbles too! We make up about 75 pounds monthly.... feeds are 2 and a friends to for about 5 weeks, we store in freezable non-disposable containers in a dedicated freezer... just to give you a better read on us... our daughter spent her diaper time wearing cloth diapers, she and her husband have there daughter in cloth as well, we get tons of produce all summer from a CSA (consumer Supported Agriculture), our Beagle is a therapy dog in a nursing home, our Border Collie herds sheep, we also have a 68 bug that we take turns driving yup 46 years old.... we also make our own seltzer... why keep bringing home expensive bubbly water?

Do you cook this? How ground do the bones have to be? Bird bones are hollow and splinter. Will a Keystone 10 do it? What's the total weight and how much of that is bird?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleach is a better sanitizer than star san.Cheaper as well.If you mix bleach correctly with vinegar you get even a better sanitizer .Warning dont just dump full strength bleach in to undiluted vinegar

If you do it wrong.

Perhaps sharing the proper way to do it would be helpful. Your only instruction so far is to mix the two, but not at full strength.... Dilute with ammonia, perhaps? ;) I'm sure you have a way that works, but your posts are rather sparse with details.

Bleach is a better sanitizer than star san.Cheaper as well.If you mix bleach correctly with vinegar you get even a better sanitizer .Warning dont just dump full strength bleach in to undiluted vinegar

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6EXnZ-Yjg[/ame]

I may not be a chemist, but my Google-fu tells me mixing bleach and vinegar is still a bad idea. It seems like it releases chlorine gas at any dilution. Given how chemical reactions work, that makes sense. Sure, diluting it means it will release less chlorine gas, but you're still mixing bleach with an acid, and that seems to mean releasing some chlorine gas is inevitable. Know what Star-San doesn't release when you use it as instructed? Chlorine gas. I like that about it. If it's not true that mixing diluted bleach and vinegar still creates chlorine gas, please let me know and point me to some reliable source for confirmation.

Hmm. Still seems suspect to me. The dilution (5 gallons of water to 1 tablespoon each of bleach and vinegar) seems pretty high, and still you have a reaction between the bleach and vinegar. Internet forum chatter and even Basic Brewing have been wrong before.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Vinegar.htm

Maybe I'll ask on the Brew Science forum to see if anyone with a chemistry background can weigh in.

Back