Star san lifespan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cochised

Reaction score
Hi all,
sorry if this one has been asked a million times but wondering how long I can continue to use Star San for?
Usually make up a 20 litre batch on brewday for soaking all gear etc and fill a spray bottle from that.
Feasibly how long can I continue to use that bottle?
Asking because I've read about SS wearing through some types of plastic etc

As long as the pH of StarSan stay below 3, it should be safe to use. It is suggested to use RO or distilled water to dilute the product to avoid hazyness.

I keep my plastic bottling bucket valve disassembled and soaking in a jar of Starsan between uses. It's been submerged months at a time and no problem. Starsan will discolor some types of tubing if kept in it a long time but even that doesn't affect the strength of the tubing.

I keep my plastic bottling bucket valve disassembled and soaking in a jar of Starsan between uses. It's been submerged months at a time and no problem. Starsan will discolor some types of tubing if kept in it a long time but even that doesn't affect the strength of the tubing.
Excellent, will know going forward so.

Thanks

Well then allow me to inform you that a standard Star San/water mix will slowly but assuredly eat up Delrin plastic...

Cheers!

Well, the second they start using Derlin for spray bottles I will pen my strongly worded letter to Mr. Derlin himself expressing my disappointment in his inferior product.

I've had a plastic milk jug of Star San develop a leak after a year or so and know of two other people that this has happened to.

It'll last a good long time. Months. I have a friend I taught to brew, and he went well over a year with the same bucket of Star-San. I tested it, pH was still below 3.

I have had Star-San cause vinyl tubing (such as on a growler filler) turn chalky white. I no longer let those sit in a bucket. It also caused a chalky white layer to form on the silicone gaskets for Bigmouth Bubblers when I let them sit in the Star-San for weeks.

I've been through quite a few spray bottles containing starsan. I don't know if they are just junk to begin with or the starsan breaks down the internals.

I've started making much smaller batches of starsan. 10 liters is plenty and it is easier to store and move the leftovers.

I've been through quite a few spray bottles containing starsan. I don't know if they are just junk to begin with or the starsan breaks down the internals.

I've started making much smaller batches of starsan. 10 liters is plenty and it is easier to store and move the leftovers.

I had the same issue with Star-San in spray bottles; the spray mechanism would jam up and that would be that.

More recently (last year or so) I've been making my Star-San with RO water instead of my very hard tap water, and I've noticed I'm no longer having issues with the sprayer heads jamming up. Wondering if the two are related.

Delrin is a commonly used plastic in spray bottle pumps and bucket spigots. I've had both fail due to extended exposure to Star San. I get a couple of years out of the spigots I use on my Star San bucket, maybe about that much time out of the cheapo spray bottles. Not much one can do about it but replace what fails.

Not like I've done extensive testing but it appears there are few plastics that are truly impervious to phosphoric acid. Nylon seems to be about it - the nylon nuts that secure the same spigot never seem to lose any thread depth.Otoh, I left a purple carboy cap in my Star San bucket overnight once and it's no longer even close to fitting the carboy neck it expanded so much. And as others have noticed PVC and silicone tubing get cloudy and often slimy...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've been using the same spray bottle for about seven years with no problem. It was a repurposed bottle that originally contained a floor cleaner. So it would probably be a good idea to keep track of what bottles don't hold up, and keep trying new ones until you get one that does.

Mine gets cloudy almost immediately so I just mix a new batch whenever I need to use it. Something about hard water I guess.

Mine gets cloudy almost immediately so I just mix a new batch whenever I need to use it. Something about hard water I guess.

Per Five Star, it's minerals that precipitate out of hard water. It's supposed to be fine to use, but I'm not happy with the slimy feel that the items get. Maybe when it dries, it leaves a profile that bacteria can hide in. Just a theory. I now use distilled water to be on the safe side.

Back