Original Recipe need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I just started playing with ingredients in beersmith.
I didnt have a particular style in mind so I ignored the ranges for abv, color, IBU etc.

I need input on what this might make as well as any feedback on ingredients, hops, and especially what yeast might really round out a good beer. It ended up becoming more of a summer ale but with a kick.

here is the recipe.

10 lb maris otter
1 lb aromatic malt
1 lb honey malt
.5 biscuit
.5 crystal 80
1lb corn sugar to up the abv
2.2 grams grains of paradise (for a spicy note)
.82 oz coriander
2 oz cluster 60 min
2 oz amarillo 1 min
yeast options are london ale - american ale I - American II
or something more exotic.

this looks to be a delicious brew. I am really wanting to try something where I didnt look at anything for reference, or only barely tweak a recipe from someone else. I just wanna try something that i made up, but I dont want it to suck either..

Please bestow on me your wisdom.

what are you shooting for in terms of flavor, aroma, ABV% etc.? Hard to give advice when you don't give us any info beyond the recipe. Looking at the ingredients, you have a mix of stuff, almost like you want to make a malty American style imperial witbier, which I would not be keen on personally.....regardless you plea for help would be better addressed if you give us more info on what your shooting for. Otherwise, just do what the rest of us have done and brew it and see what happens. No one wants to make sucky beer, sometimes it happens and its part of the learning curve.

I picked some ingredients that I thought might have a nice flavor. I didnt intentionally look at any reference recipes or classify it to a style. Im thinking more of a summery ale but with a nice unique flavor. Something kinda citrusy and with good hop aroma.

I will go back to the drawing board.

I see, what about your ABV intentions, how hoppy?

bail the corn sugar, drop aromatic to .5#, reduce 60 minute addition to 1 oz tops, you can add another oz at 30 mins or so, use American Ale yeast, mash at 152C for 60, ferment at 64C, use equal amounts of grains of paradise and coriander at 2 minutes remaining in boil and use amarillo at knockout instead of 1 min.

abv intentions about 6 to 6.5
IBU about 40-50 but nice aroma

I dropped the sugar and made the hop you suggested. sounds good.
I might drop the coriander since i dont necessarily want a witbeer profile

beer smith has this at

40.3 ibu
10.9 srm
and 5.7 abv

I also wonder if maris otter is gonna matter or if just good ole us 2 row will work just as well.

I change to american pale ale profile and im in all green which is nice.

You may want to drop your IBU's to 30 or so, you may not have a balanced beer there, or increase ABV. MO is more malty than 2row, so a cleaner, crisp beer would be better brewed with 2 row. I usually use MO for all my ales and porters and shoot for a drier beer, fwiw.

Back