Organic HOPS in Michigan coming soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIchigan

Reaction score
Hi brewers out there. I have always wanted to have a brewery. I used to think Bud Light should sponsor me, I drank so much of it. Now I am hoping to grow about 4-7 acres of hops if all goes well should get a decent harvest in a few months. I really want to know what kind of hops the home brewers want. I have about 19 varieties various alpha %. I want to know which varieties are more popular before ordering

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It seems to me that homebrewers tend to like ALL KINDS of hops! I'm a big fan of centennial and Chinook and that sort of IPA hops. But it depends on the beer.

I figured that would be the response haha. Thanks

I haven't seen citra but I'll try and find it.

Hi brewers out there. I have always wanted to have a brewery. I used to think Bud Light should sponsor me, I drank so much of it. Now I am hoping to grow about 4-7 acres of hops if all goes well should get a decent harvest in a few months. I really want to know what kind of hops the home brewers want. I have about 19 varieties various alpha %. I want to know which varieties are more popular before ordering

A couple of thoughts, which you may already have mulled over:

- hops need time to establish themselves, many hops growers don't get good harvests with flavorful cones until the third growing season

- organic hops are a different market; I use organic hops when the variety I'm looking for is available; the costs are significantly higher; some small organic hop growers sell their entire crop to one brewery;

- the only national seller of a significant variety of organic hops that I know of is Seven Bridges (www.breworganic.com); you might talk with them

Good luck!

Yes I know exactly what your saying. This is my first year of course growing. The only thing is that I have at least 40-80 more acres to plant next year. I'm camping in the woods building an amazing trellis system. I know my harvest won't be great but I'm dedicated to this

Organic is also a practice of using natural growing rituals. I don't plan on having all organic. But I'm buying the best usda certified rhizomes I can find. From all around the country from established hop growers.

We are using the trees from our tree farm to build these trellises. We are not using the cable. Going to reinvent the wheel. Lots of work to be done. I really want to help brewers all over.

We are using the trees from our tree farm to build these trellises. We are not using the cable.

I would love to see what you are doing. You must be clear cutting forest to plant field in to find that many trees. We actually went in the opposite direction with more cabling and less poles since poles wear out and have to be replaced too often.

Also 40-80 acres...that's a lot. I mean A LOT. We've been trying to build out just 20 acres and our biggest constraint has been finding rhizomes/plants to put in the ground that come from a trusted source.

Good luck.

Very true very true. I plan on making a website. I've talked to Brian he said he would email me a price list. Haven't seen any. Me and my friend are both Veterans and have an army of friends without jobs and know lots of people in michigan that have no jobs. I studied agribusiness and horticulture at MSU and have farmed my whole life except when in the USMC. We are using my families tree farm and building the trellis from trees planted in perfectly straight rows thinned perfectly to grow hopes in perfect soils for hops with no overhead beside rhizomes and equipment/labor

I've got about 19 varieties. Just received my first order of 240 rhizomes saturday

...We are using my families tree farm and building the trellis from trees planted in perfectly straight rows thinned perfectly to grow hopes in perfect soils for hops with no overhead beside rhizomes and equipment/labor

Are you cutting the trees or growing them off of live trees? I'm a bit confused. One danger of using live trees, or having a live tree anywhere in the area, is that they continue to grow limbs. Once a bine reaches the top of your drop line, you want it to stop and start side arm production. If it can reach out and grab a branch, it will take off and keep growing to 30 feet high. Then your cones are being produced where you can't reach them.

The plan is to limb the existing trees and top them at 25 feet and notch the top. Run a log from tree to tree with the twine running down to the plants to climb. What Better than using natural root structure to support your system.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396290489.871320.jpg

Since this has gone from an introduction to a substantive discussion, I've moved the thread to the Hops Growing forum, where perhaps other hop growing veterans will see it.

One thing hops love is sunlight. And by you picture it still looks like a canopy of branches. Sounds like an awesome idea if it would work. just that's a start. Correct me if I'm wrong on the sunlight making it to earth still thru the overgrowth? I don't much about I trees but your root growth with the trees is going to be fighting those crowns as they grow. Once I wish the best for anyone trying to start off. But it's a lot of work with an open field and lots of room to work

Pleasant Valley Hops Inc.
Carroll Brewing Company

The root systems on those pine trees. Are of the tap root variety and have a main root going straight down and maybe a 6-8 foot diameter. I have lots of composted manure and once I finish topping these trees it's planting time they'll be plenty if sunlight

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396312138.952754.jpg

Just finished my box to take the boys to the top. Gonna be a long week.

All agriculture is a lot of work, more than most ever dream it is.

You need to build a steel framed deck with a simple pipe railing. It needs to chain back to the boom. Both sides should hinge to open, a pin lock is fine. You pr'lly can find prebuilt. You need this to top and limb trees, run cable, etc. What you are showing is 1950 stuff. I remember it.

Just finished my box to take the boys to the top. Gonna be a long week.

Yeah...at the very least, I would include some sort of harness with a tie off in case you slip. I know a grower with a similar set up. Luckily he was only a few feet off the ground, so he only broke his leg, in three places, and lived to tell about it.

I have a safety harness all ready to go. I've been working as a millwright/fabricator and have all the safety equipment for this. I know the concerns and we have all been in the trades growing up.

Interesting project. I'd love to be there and help, even if it's just to ride up on the platform and top a few trees.

How are you planning on attaching the cross pieces to the tops of the trees?

I'm wondering if you have any sections that would be harvest-able now, or in a few years as utility poles. The density of the planting is yielding nice tall straight growth in places by the looks. You would probably need to 12 to 14 inches across the butt. If you are going to be farmin' you have to use everything you have to make it roll.

I have a safety harness all ready to go. I've been working as a millwright/fabricator and have all the safety equipment for this. I know the concerns and we have all been in the trades growing up.

That is very good. You really need to know at least the basics in all the trades to be in agriculture, most folks have no idea of that aspect. Us dumb farmers and all. When specialty equipment needs fabrication or repairs have to be made you have to be able to do it yourself or at least show how it needs to be done.

I'm hoping that this works out for you. I love to see farms work.

We have been using the trees for utility poles as well as pulp wood. My mother would really like me to build her a new cabin with some of the lumber. I'll be working on this project for a few years before it will even become close to being done. I really wanted to start taking with growers.

Latest posts

Back