Oregon fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
I have made a few all grain versions of a strawberry wheat ale with much success and everyone seemed to like it. 10 gallon batches is where were at and I have been using 12 ounces of extract for 10 gallons. Looking to switch over from extract to something more natural on the fruit side. I was thinking about adding this: Oregon Fruit Strawberries in Syrup, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 8): Amazon.com: Grocery

to my secondary (15oz).......thoughts.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
They are $28.60 for 8 at Amazon and is close to $3.50 a can which is the price I pay for a can at Winco in California (same 15oz size). So if you have a discount grocery store near you, I would try there first so you don't have to buy 8 at a time.

They are close to $5 a can at a regular grocery store.

I can't say anything about the taste yet as my first batch using it is in the secondary right now.

They are $28.60 for 8 at Amazon and is close to $3.50 a can which is the price I pay for a can at Winco in California (same 15oz size). So if you have a discount grocery store near you, I would try there first so you don't have to buy 8 at a time.

They are close to $5 a can at a regular grocery store.

I can't say anything about the taste yet as my first batch using it is in the secondary right now.

good point.....i was wondering if I can just dump a whole can into my secondary at room temp and rack the beer right on top of it......just like i do now with extract....or is the syrup thats mixed with the berries going to screw it up?

I just finished reading a thread on this and Revvy posted some really good info about it. It is under this section. HE explained that the sugar or water that it is packed in would not be any cause for alarm. I have always used fresh fruit but I am going to give this a go for my Raspberry Wheat

good point.....i was wondering if I can just dump a whole can into my secondary at room temp and rack the beer right on top of it......just like i do now with extract....or is the syrup that's mixed with the berries going to screw it up?

I have read that most freeze the fruit so that it can be broken down more easily when it thaws out and more flavor can be extracted. I know, it's seems crazy to freeze nice fresh fruit.

I used a total of 3 cans with my batch and I drained off 2 of the cans syrup and kept in a separate container. I froze the fruit 3 cans and the syrup from another only because I picked up a 3rd can later.

I thawed the fruit and put into the secondary, then racked the beer onto it.

I am keeping the syrup around because I want to taste it before I put it into the keg and if I think it needs more fruit flavor, I can always add some of the syrup, I just can't take the flavor away if I have too much in already.

Freezing is not really necessary for the canned, their cell walls are already pretty weakend by the whole process...The purpose of freezing fresh fruits prior to do that is to ruptured the cell walls of the fruit to get the sugars more reachable by the yeasties...

thanks for the info guys...

for ten gallons I am not sure of what the conversion is from extract to canned fruit. 12 ounces of extract........36 ounces of canned????????

also, revvy, am I good just dumping all the ingredients straight from the can into the secondary?

if you have a link to you thread that would be cool.

thanks again

thanks for the info guys...

for ten gallons I am not sure of what the conversion is from extract to canned fruit. 12 ounces of extract........36 ounces of canned????????

also, revvy, am I good just dumping all the ingredients straight from the can into the secondary?

if you have a link to you thread that would be cool.

thanks again

bump, can anyone help me out with the above q's???:eek:

Back