Ordering multiple kits question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I tried searching the forum before posting this but I had no luck, so I apologize if this is a common topic...

I am going to be placing an order soon for some new equipment as well as a Hefeweizen kit. Do you guys feel that it is safe to order more than one kit at a time. I ask because as soon as I am done with the hefeweizen (3 week span) I am going to start another kit and I would hate to have to place another order.

The kits are going to come with Wyeast activtor pack. As long as I were to keep these in the refrigerator while I am not using them is that okay?

thanks for any responses.

Why not. If you think you are going to use it, go for it.

The Wyeast packs are usually good for several months, and will even work past their expiration dates provided you make a starter. Unless you order from a really bad retailer, I guarantee your smack packs will be good long after you plan on making your next batch.

I get orders likethat all the time with people ordering multiple kits to save on shipping. Even with $6.99 shipping people still take advantage and order 2-3 kits at a time. There is nothing to worry about really. Even crushed grains can be stored in the fridge for a 2-3 weeks without an issues.

Ed

I had a northern brewer oatmeal stout kit with the crushed grains and LME stored at room temperature for at least 5 months...it made great beer. Hops in the freezer and they were just fine.

grains in a vacuum-sealed bag or airtight container are basically non-perishable. I mean you don't throw out your oatmeal or grits or anything after 2-3 weeks, right?

It'll last. Plus, who wants to wait another couple weeks when they are ready to brew now. Unless you have an LHBS nearby, just go ahead and order 2-3 kits at once. This way you will always have something waiting for you when you want to brew. If you're as addicted as most of us you will be ready to brew again the next weekend (or next day for some of the people here).

I ordered 4 kits last saturday from AHS AND won a $50 gift certificate.

As long as they do not sit around for a 6 months.

I always buy a kit for a new style and then start tweaking it if it is halfway decent.

Latest posts

Back