Ordering Grain Online by the Fraction of a Pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
Since Austin Homebrew Supply recently changed from being able to order grain by the ounce to 4 ounce increments, I thought I should look to see if there are any other suppliers that allow you to order in one ounce increments.

Adventures in Homebrewing allows you to buy by the tenth of a pound, but I've never ordered from them and I find their site just a little more difficult than most to navigate.

I just stumbled across Texas Brewing (www.txbrewing.com) and it looks very promising. They allow you to purchase by the ounce and to select multiple grain bags (just like AHS) so that your recipes come pre-mixed and separated.

I just wanted to hear some feedback from those that have experience with these sites, and to see if anyone else has these issues. I know a lot of people order online, but the big places (NB & MWS) only let you order by the pound. I'm not the only one that wants to order only what I need for a specific recipe, am I?

I've gotten my last few batches from Texas brewing. Previously I was an Austin homebrew customer. I have been happy with their service, price and product. I live close enough to do will call so I cannot speak to shipping prices or process.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm not the only one that wants to order only what I need for a specific recipe, am I?

I'm the same way. I hate having extra specialty grains laying around.

I loved when you could order by the ounce at AHS (and I didn't even care they charged proportionally more for an ounce or two compared to a half pound or so....I didn't mind paying extra for the convenience of not having extra crap laying around).

Curious to see what other options are out there for this...

My local store (Learn to Brew in Moore) sells online by the ounce, but I don't know what the shipping would be for that...

Ritebrew.com will let you order in 1oz increments, I like using their Quick Grain Selector. Makes ordering up a specific recipe very easy.

My local store (Learn to Brew in Moore) sells online by the ounce, but I don't know what the shipping would be for that...

My local stores do too. Unfortunately, the good store is an hour away, so I'd pay the same in gas as I would in shipping, and the other store (still 20 minutes away) is in the process of revamping from a previous owner that ran it into the ground, so they have limited stock, and what they do have can be out of date. So until the close store gets up to speed, ordering online is somewhat of a necessity for me.

I'm glad I found Texas Brewing, I may give them a try on my next order. They seem to have decent stock, although they only carry Wyeast. I'm ok with that since I've pretty much stopped buying yeast except for special brews, and I've been using Wyeast lately anyway.

You might check out homebrewhq.com, as I believe you can order any quantity you want from them. They are the lhbs I normally go to, so I haven't tried an online order from them yet.

Brewmasters Warehouse is my go to online HBS. They let you create and buy recipes with fractions of pounds of grain. Ed is a great guy to deal with too.

rebel brewer is pretty good and they ship pretty quickly to NC, so GA might not be much more shipping time

Texas Brewing Inc has a fabulous selection of grains and they actually tell you who the maltster is. I like that you know what you’re getting, not some generic thing.

They have fast turnover, so the yeast is fresh, even on the odd strains.

This is why I love my local brew store. I can buy any amount I want. I could probably ask for 5 grains and she would sell t to me

Obviously a LHBS is the best option when it's conveniently located and has a good supply. You just walk in, give them a recipe, and they build it for you. That's not really an option in my case. I was inquiring about online stores that sell by the fraction of a pound (see title.) A lot of LHBS have websites, and even offer online ordering, but are not really set up for it.

Brewmasters Warehouse is my go to online HBS. They let you create and buy recipes with fractions of pounds of grain. Ed is a great guy to deal with too.

I ordered from them once, had a horrible experience, and read a thread on here about others' nightmares, so I've decided not to order from them again.

Ed from Brewmasters Warehouse had a major personal disaster which temporarily distracted him from the store. He has apologized and is once again fully focused on the customers. I've heard nothing but praise for a while now.

Ed from Brewmasters Warehouse had a major personal disaster which temporarily distracted him from the store. He has apologized and is once again fully focused on the customers. I've heard nothing but praise for a while now.

I've ordered my last few thru them, I think they are quick to respond to any communication and very good. I like that you're able to build a recipe and save it, and also see/order recipes others have created!

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

A good one is brewershaven.com
It's a LHBS for me, but they are huge and sell everything u can think of online. Actually they have 3 stores within 20 miles of me. They sell grain by the oz

Gotcha. May have to give them a try again, especially since they're in Georgia.

Relax sassy. I seriously thought they let you order by the 10th. Sheesh.

Sorry, that was pretty unfair. Just after all the other "I use my LHBS" and multiple suggestions of sites that don't sell fractions, I was frustrated. My apologies.

Your use of "sassy" did make me laugh though...

I'll second ritebrew. Their double-crush is pretty good, but I might go a bit finer when I eventually buy my own mill. I live a few states away and get my stuff in two days every time, and every time I've ordered by 3pm est they have shipped that day.

Any word on how close these retailers actually get to your intended ounces when buying online?

Sorry, that was pretty unfair. Just after all the other "I use my LHBS" and multiple suggestions of sites that don't sell fractions, I was frustrated. My apologies.

As my other post states, yes it is a LHBS.....but with many stores across my state and sells there entire inventory, plus some online. Which includes grain by the oz. here is some 2-row for 7 cents an oz

http://www.brewershaven.com/products/2-row-per-oz

As my other post states, yes it is a LHBS.....but with many stores across my state and sells there entire inventory, plus some online. Which includes grain by the oz. here is some 2-row for 7 cents an oz

http://www.brewershaven.com/products/2-row-per-oz

That wasn't directed at you. There are plenty of people in Austin for which AHS is their LHBS. I was referring to the stores that aren't set up for online selling, and the people that were only saying they use their LHBS and not contributing anything towards my original question.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized your first post was exactly that. So thanks for providing the link, that's much more helpful.

That wasn't directed at you. There are plenty of people in Austin for which AHS is their LHBS. I was referring to the stores that aren't set up for online selling, and the people that were only saying they use their LHBS and not contributing anything towards my original question.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized your first post was exactly that. So thanks for providing the link, that's much more helpful.

NP. I apologize if my first post was kind of smart assish. I'm a bit of a smart ass and need to work on it ;)
Another note, in not sure if brewers haven will crush shipped grain (I don't see why not) but when they crush it for me in store, it's always a good crush and they have a killer mill. A lot of shops will intentionally crush grain to give you a 65% eff. So you will buy more, but not this shop

my entire setup is set up for AHS crush.. i agree though since they changed their site it isn't as userfriendly or nice as before.. i think they may have made me decide to finally buy a mill and then i can get my grains from basically anywhere.. i have used the brewmasters warehouse in the past when AHS was out of a couple ingredients and they were quite good.. they may be next on my list to try again

txbrewing.com is my LHBS, I'll give them a vote as well. They are good folks. and stocked well, and do provide Maltser. Their grain mills are quoted at 34/1000ths gap, according to an employee crushing for me, if that helps anyone.

www.barleynvine.com offers grains by the ounce and can package grains separate if desired. Any special instructions can be entered into the comments section at checkout. Also has over 70 different hops (pellet and whole leaf) available and 5 different yeast companies. If the order is in by 2pm, shipped that day (Mon-Fri).

Back