Orangina Replica

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I love drinking orginia, but its expensive, so I decided to make my own.

I juiced a bag of tangerines, added corn syrup, sugar, and 3 tbls of Vanilla extract.

Added enough mineral water to make 2 1/2 gallons

Perfect. The vanilla gave it a "cream" flavor which was a pleasant surprise

I would say right under 2 quarts. It nearly filled up half a gallon.

My kids are going nuts and drinking it all way before my force carbonation can even set in

Thanks for posting this. I made a great soda based on your recipe, but I wanted to use some ginger and less sugar. Here's what I did for 1 liter:

-boiled one liter of water with a couple inches of sliced ginger & 3 tbsp of sugar
-when it cooled, I added juice from 3 tangerines and one lemon

The result was great.

Pretty close,

The orangina label says it contains lemons, oranges, and mandarins, but this recipe only uses mandarins (and I used oranges in mine actually).

In hindsight, I would juice a bag of mandarins and a couple lemons, mix it into real orange juice (not that sunny d crap), and mix the orange juice with mineral water and sweeten to taste. After its carbonated I'm sure it will be a nearly exact to the original product.

How close is this to the original oringina?

when using real juice does it settle out? I want to keg some and worry about it settiling. The oragne extract I made isn't that great...

Never had Orangina, let alone heard of it. However the recipe sounds tasty.

Approximately how much corn syrup and sugar did you use?

I don't recall, but most the time when I'm making soda I used 4 to 6 cups of sugar per 5 gallons. Some like it sweeter, I don't.

This sounds like an awesome recipe! You should put it in your drop down... if that is an option.

Thanks - was looking for a starting point for exactly this.

My goal is to brew a 5g batch of it for summer...I may try to use freshly squeezed OJ with a tad of ascorbic acid to tart it up, given that 5g's of tangerine juice would require a second mortgage.

i had the real deal in France and it is indead awesome. I treat myself to it once in a while cause it is xpensive around these parts.

I don't have the equipment to force carbonate. Does anyone have suggestions about how to make this with yeast and bottling? I'm new to this so as much detail would be appreciated. My wife loves Orangina so this would help support the costs of a new hobby.

I love drinking orginia, but its expensive, so I decided to make my own.

I juiced a bag of tangerines, added corn syrup, sugar, and 3 tbls of Vanilla extract.

Added enough mineral water to make 2 1/2 gallons

Perfect. The vanilla gave it a "cream" flavor which was a pleasant surprise

How much corn syrup and sugar are you adding?

Bump.

Would also like to know have you pefected it in any way? List your ingredients and such, I just got my carbing system and dying to try some orangina.

Here is a recipe I found, making it in a mason jar. I do not get credit for it, Jessica posted the article on http://www.deliciousobsessions.com. I am sure this would be easy to duplicate and force carbonated. Looks like a lot of salt though. She is fermenting a lot of food in her articles. Hmmm. Beer food?

Orangina
Based on Sally Fallon’s recipe in Nourishing Traditions, pg. 587

6 organic oranges, juiced (see this post for an awesome little juicer)

1 tsp. sea salt

1/4 cup whey

1/2 tsp. orange extract

1 1/2 cups filtered water

Juice the oranges (this will yield approx. 2 cups) and pour the juice in a quart mason jar. Add the sea salt, whey, orange extract, and water. Cover and shake well. Leave the jar at room temperature for 8-10 days and then transfer to cold storage.

I checked mine after day 5 and it smelled like orange juice. I tasted mine after day 10 and it didn’t have the banana flavor that I was expecting, but it was still pleasant — a little salty and sour, but rather refreshing. I’d most likely drink this with a meal or after a workout. I think as a post-workout drink, it would be great. The sea salt would help rehydrate you and it would quench your thirst. I will definitely make this again.

Back