Orange peel in a summer wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Megalodon77

Reaction score
Should I do it during the boil or during the fermentation process? It is fresh orange peel.

ffaoe

Reaction score
I agree, the last five minutes of boil for fresh sweet orange peel.

AndyRN

Reaction score
I have a batch in the keg right now with Cutie peels. I put 1oz in during the last 5 mins. Tried a little bit the other day. I would say another .5 oz would have been perfect, but regular orange peel may be different.

shortyz

Reaction score
what about the citrus oils from the orange peel, do they have an effect on head retention?

brewing_clown

Reaction score
I use 1oz of zest only in witbiers. I'm adding 0.5oz of coriander, so more orange may work. I've never had head retention issues though - quite the opposite.

timrox1212

Reaction score
If it is fresh orange peels then use allot. I used the peel of 5 oranges in a beer and it was hard to pick out the orange flavor.

Murph2002

Reaction score
I've done several beers with fresh zested citrus peels. Be sure to get just the orange part, none of the white pith. It's a pretty subtle flavor IMO, would be tough to overdo it. I add at flameout and filter going into the fermenter.

slym2none

"Lazy extract brewer."
Reaction score
Trick I learned from my cooking - peel your oranges like normal and then scrape the pith off the back with a butter-knife or the edge of a spoon, instead of trying to cut the peels really thin.

:)

Takuie

Reaction score
I make an orange coriander wheat, can't keep it in kegs long during summer. Goes crazy fast. I use 1 oz of both bitter and sweet orange peels 5 mins before flameout.

OP
M

Megalodon77

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I went with about 2 cups of orange peel 5 mins before the end of the boil.

KVANTAN

Reaction score
I make an orange coriander wheat, can't keep it in kegs long during summer. Goes crazy fast. I use 1 oz of both bitter and sweet orange peels 5 mins before flameout.

Sounds like a good Namaste clone.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Trick I learned from my cooking - peel your oranges like normal and then scrape the pith off the back with a butter-knife or the edge of a spoon, instead of trying to cut the peels really thin.

:)
i just use the fine part of a kitchen grater to remove the zest...watch your knuckles

Latest posts