Orange peel in a summer wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon77

Reaction score
Should I do it during the boil or during the fermentation process? It is fresh orange peel.

I have a batch in the keg right now with Cutie peels. I put 1oz in during the last 5 mins. Tried a little bit the other day. I would say another .5 oz would have been perfect, but regular orange peel may be different.

what about the citrus oils from the orange peel, do they have an effect on head retention?

If it is fresh orange peels then use allot. I used the peel of 5 oranges in a beer and it was hard to pick out the orange flavor.

I've done several beers with fresh zested citrus peels. Be sure to get just the orange part, none of the white pith. It's a pretty subtle flavor IMO, would be tough to overdo it. I add at flameout and filter going into the fermenter.

Trick I learned from my cooking - peel your oranges like normal and then scrape the pith off the back with a butter-knife or the edge of a spoon, instead of trying to cut the peels really thin.

:)

I make an orange coriander wheat, can't keep it in kegs long during summer. Goes crazy fast. I use 1 oz of both bitter and sweet orange peels 5 mins before flameout.

Thanks for all the tips. I went with about 2 cups of orange peel 5 mins before the end of the boil.

I make an orange coriander wheat, can't keep it in kegs long during summer. Goes crazy fast. I use 1 oz of both bitter and sweet orange peels 5 mins before flameout.

Sounds like a good Namaste clone.

Trick I learned from my cooking - peel your oranges like normal and then scrape the pith off the back with a butter-knife or the edge of a spoon, instead of trying to cut the peels really thin.

:)
i just use the fine part of a kitchen grater to remove the zest...watch your knuckles

Back