Orange in Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
My wife bought some Kumquats. I don't know why. A pretty boring fruit really. Will use some in salads, but will probably have a bunch that will go to waste.

They do have a pretty strong bitter orange flavor, and I wondered if I could use some of them in a Lambic, or if that would completely ruin it.

if its bitter to start with then that will transfer to your Lambic i wouldnt use just that but then again i dont like fruit beer

IPA all the Way

Kumquats are pretty bitter, but they do have a distinct flavor. You can zest them like any other citrus and use that in your beer. I'm not really sure if the zest in a kumquat has bitterness so I would taste it before adding it to your lambic as bitter and sour don't go together.

I chopped up somewhere between 15 and 20 kumquats, and put them in a jar with a few ozs of rum. Put in the whole thing; zest, pith, and juice, but removed the seeds. Left them for about a month. Yesterday I added them (and the rum) to 5 liters of 4 month old pLambic. The pLambic was pretty good, refreshing and sour.

It's only a gallon. Might be interesting.

Off topic: make sure you don't call your beers a stout, porter, heffeweisen, dunkel etc. As I'm sure your not brewing in those regions. Lambic is not a protected term and I will use it. How do you even pronounce plambic? Pretty sure anyone I tell that I brew a lambic will realise I'm not Belgian or brew in Belgium. End rant.
On topic:

Well porter's were originally made in London I believe.

So good with that one at least. No place called porter, but I could be wrong!

Sorry for going off topic

pLambic is awfully close to cLambic... I don't even want to go down that road... Perhaps we could just agree to call it a lambic and be done with it?

Off topic: make sure you don't call your beers a stout, porter, heffeweisen, dunkel etc. As I'm sure your not brewing in those regions. Lambic is not a protected term and I will use it. How do you even pronounce plambic? Pretty sure anyone I tell that I brew a lambic will realise I'm not Belgian or brew in Belgium. End rant.
On topic:

Well porter's were originally made in London I believe.

So good with that one at least. No place called porter, but I could be wrong!

Sorry for going off topic

Language is for communication, imo. If people can understand what you're on about, you've succeeded.

pLambic is awfully close to cLambic... I don't even want to go down that road... Perhaps we could just agree to call it a lambic and be done with it?

Any of you guys actually brewed one?

I think I can produce a decent sour beer, but with respect, I don't think I could produce a product that would be equivalent to a real Lambic. I just don't age long enough, use the same bugs, have the same climate, and I also carbonate the beer (Lambic is normally not carbonated). Lambic is reserved for a certain region, and I don't brew in that area, so with respect I call my attempts to make similar beers pseudo-Lambics. I think you will also find it is a generally recognized term for Lambic style beers.

Stout, porter, heffeweisen, dunkel, etc are styles, and are not associated with any specific area.

Porter was supposedly named for some of the people who used to drink it. The Porters for the trains in London.

I apologize for getting heated. It bothers me that people say I can't call it a lambic because I'm not in the area. I believe my attempts haven't been as good more due to the fact that I don't have enough to blend.

Most beers can be associated with a region. Heffeweisens with Bavaria, porters with England, lambics with belgium. I see no reason why I should have to put pseudo in front of lambic but not the others.

Stout, porter, heffeweisen, dunkel, etc are styles, and are not associated with any specific area.

Hefeweizen and dunkelweizen use a specific yeast native to a region in Germany, I think. Torulaspora delbrueckii. Obviously since it's one organism, it's much more easily reproduced than lambics, but it's still associated with that area in Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torulaspora_delbrueckii

Latest posts

Back