Orange Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
I plan to add some Orange Extract to a Belgian Wit Ale that I will be brewing soon. When is the appropriate time for this addition ? In the secondary ??
Bob

No response in two days ! I hope that doesn't mean that it was a stupid question. Without further guidance, I'll add the orange extract to the secondary.
Bob

First, are you doing the extra via a neutral spirit way(vodka). And I guess it depends on what kind of flavor your looking for. If you want it to blend more in then you can add it as soon as its in secondary and overtime it will blend more with the flavors. If you want it to really shine through then I've had good luck adding flavors when bottling/kegging.

I'm about to rack a Belgian Wit into a secondary with a large can of blood orange puree this weekend.

If you're talking about one of these guys...
Natural%20Orange%20Flavor%203772.jpg

...I've had the best luck in the bottling/kegging stage. 1/4 - 1/2 those small bottles will add plenty of flavor to a 5 - 6 gallon batch.

Would start with less and at secondary or at kegging. Can always add more into the keg "to taste". Can't take it out once it's in. Cheers.

I plan to add some Orange Extract to a Belgian Wit Ale that I will be brewing soon. When is the appropriate time for this addition ? In the secondary ??
Bob
Hi Bob, I'm a home brewer and I use orange extract in several beers I make. I find adding whatever amount you choose to use (between 4-8 oz.) works best on bottling day. ( I'm referring to a 5 gallon batch for reference) Once your small pot of priming sugar has dissolved and cooled slightly, pour in the extract. Stir and then add to your filling bucket before you pour the wort in.

Back