Orange Creamsicle Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iHawkeyeFan

Reaction score
Hello Cider Fantastics

I have been experimenting with different flavors for backsweetening my hard cider in preparation for a cider tasting. I was asked to make the alcohol for my niece’s wedding and one of the flavors I wanted her to try was an Orange Dreamsicle. I used my base cider and added Olive Nation’s Orange Cream extract with some simple syrup to add sweetness. My problem is that I am struggling to get my cider to have that creamy orange flavor. I think the orange is on par but the vanilla does give me that creaminess I’m looking for. Does anyone have a recipes for the orange creamsicle or does anyone have any suggestions how to make my cider creamy while keeping it still cider?

For the orange flavor, I'd say you're spot-on by using flavoring or extract. The vanilla, same.

For the "creamyness", I'd boil up some lactose (milk sugar) & water and "backsweeten" the cider to taste and effect. (note that lactose is much less sweet than sugar)

(and mixed with water because adding dry lactose = 'mentos candy in a bottle of coke').

Straight lactose should not prove to be fermentable in your application.
Without the enzymatic action of galactosidase - which is found in barley - (when it has not been denatured by boiling it out, that is); the lactose will not be broken into fermentable sugars.

The milk sugar should give you a bit of creamy sweetness and mouthfeel.

For the orange flavor, I'd say you're spot-on by using flavoring or extract. The vanilla, same.

For the "creamyness", I'd boil up some lactose (milk sugar) & water and "backsweeten" the cider to taste and effect. (note that lactose is much less sweet than sugar)

(and mixed with water because adding dry lactose = 'mentos candy in a bottle of coke').

Straight lactose should not prove to be fermentable in your application.
Without the enzymatic action of galactosidase - which is found in barley - (when it has not been denatured by boiling it out, that is); the lactose will not be broken into fermentable sugars.

The milk sugar should give you a bit of creamy sweetness and mouthfeel.
Thanks for the suggestion @Jacob_Marley I’m excited to try this technique using several different testing methods for the orange and vanilla flavorings. I bought some Orange Creamsicle Extract from Olive Nation that has proven to be a decent flavor but couldn’t think of a way to add the creaminess though my wife did suggest adding milk like she does to her sex on the beach cocktails.

I look forward to seeing what I can come up with over the next few weeks.

Back